Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Week 10: What a Wonderful World

                                              
July 2, 2012
Well I haven’t really slept in the past 36 hours and am feelin great, I don’t know how people pull 2 all nighters in a row at school. Im exhausted. Our adventure was great indeed, so we arrived at the hospital because that is the time we had been told to get there on Sunday night... Jackie and I got there right at 11:30 expecting to leave by 12 but that was silly, you would think we’d have learned by now. Not even half of the nurses had arrived and the ‘bus’ that we were expecting turned out to basically just be a pimped out tro tro. We laughed at ourselves for the wishful thinking. We walked around the hospital and just waited around until everyone got there and we finally pulled away at 12:30. Jackie and I claimed the front because that meant there were only 3 people instead of 5 squished into the row, plus there were seatbelts which we felt much better about having. I took some sleeping pills hoping they would just knock me out but that didn’t happen. I dozed off for awhile but it is so uncomfortable to sleep in a car already and this was definitely not one of the better situations. Not to mention the radio that was about 100 decibals too loud for my ears and the awful Ghanaian drama that was playing on it. All Ghanaian films are about killing and affairs and there is just so much fighting and yelling and it is awful. I cannot figure out why they do that; you would think that being one of the few African countries which does not see major violence among its people would deter that, that violence would not be something that is emphasized. But that is the entirety of their media from what I have seen. Turns out the media brings many a skewed idea, not just in America, but everywhere. On top of that, the 25 nurses which were packed into the 5 rows in the back were singing songs in Twi at the top of their lungs for the majority of the drive as well. I do not blame them for if I was on a bus with 24 of my pals that had neon lights inside, I would surely be partying as well, though I do think I would have tried to sleep more than they did. I was so glad when the sun came up because that meant I could stop my unsuccessful search for sleep and could just look around and enjoy the scenery as I usually do when we drive. My first glimpse of the ocean was beautiful and it was a bit of a stormy day so the waves were coming in fast with swell after swell and it looked so cool to see all the huts with palm leaf roofs on the sand, this was much a different oceanside feel than the touristy feel of Cape Coast. We arrived at our destination right at 8 am as planned and I was very grateful to get out of the van. We were at a place called Nzulezo and at this point Jackie and I had honestly no idea what we had in store for the day. We were right on the beach though so we were pleased with that. We were told that the attraction and museum cost 12 cedi and we were glad we had brought some extra money because we paid 50 cedi beforehand for the excursion but turns out that just included the lunch and snacks they brought along with transportation. We were ready to pay but then the man tried to tell us that we owed 19 cedis because we aren’t Ghanaian. I hate that. Every attraction has a much higher price for white people. Just because of the color of our skin, it honestly drives me nuts. So many people here just see us as money factories and nothing else. I never thought I would feel any sort of discrimination toward being white in my lifetime and I know this is really not a big deal but it makes me so upset to be treated differently. It really has put so many things into perspective to feel those feelings of ostracism from a culture. Not that I am being kept out by any means but I feel like I am being used for my money a lot. I don’t even have money! Worldwide perceptions about other human beings who are even a tiny bit different from oneself are so skewed. It really is a major downfall of our human existence, its such a shame. And I know that there is nothing I can do about it and that is what bothers me the most. We got him down to 15 cedi since we are students and we took our lifejackets and headed out. On the canoe was Jackie, Sarah, Abigail, me and our guide Emmanuel. We pushed off and for the first while Jackie and I were paddling and Emmanuel was using a big stick to propel us forward through this canal when a man came running after us and was arguing with everyone on the boat in Twi for like 10 minutes. Jackie and I obviously had no idea what was going on but turns out we had not been given a receipt of payment. Everyone thought we had just been included with the rest of our group but they saw Jackie and I as a separate entity because we are white, once again, so we had to go back to the dock to get our receipt. This put us way far behind the rest of our group so we were all in a bit of a mood but got over it as we realized how cool this canoe experience was. I still didn’t really understand where our destination was but I was having the best time canoeing that it didn’t matter. It turned out to be sweet that we were not with any one else because it was like our own private tour. We paddled along this canal until we reached the first jungle. We canoed through the jungle in these small passages of water and it was just so cool! It felt like the amazon trail computer game that I used to play.
 I just smiled and pondered and laughed as we canoed along. After a ways it opened up to more of a grassland in water with lilypads and flowers and weeds sticking up in the water rather than straight jungle and the guide said that we could get out to swim if we knew how but there were crocodiles in the water so he did not advise it. I spent the whole rest of that section trying to look for crocodiles but didn’t see any. I don’t know if he was lying or not. After about 30 minutes of rowing he said that we were halfway and we approached another jungle to canoe through. The water was smooth as glass this whole time so it was the most beautiful sight to look at the trees and plants reflecting on the water as the canoe cut through it. It was unlike anything I have ever seen before. At times I felt like I was at Disneyland on the jungle safari ride, but obviously it was 1,000 times cooler than that because it was the real thing but just to give you an idea of what it felt like, sorta. After going through the second jungle it opened up to this huge lake and it was the smoothest water I have ever seen in my entire life. After marveling at the beauty of the sight as I sat there in this tiny canoe, on a lake in Western Africa, my thoughts were turned to wakeboarding and I laughed and mentioned to Jackie about how amazing it would be to board on this water. It was beautiful. Seriously one of the coolest sights I have seen over all, this earth is so beautiful. Then the houses came into sight…I was shocked. There was a whole village of houses on stilts in the water. That was what we were going to see.

On the way canoeing there, local people would come by in these tiny hollowed out trees that only fit one person and I learned that they are each given their own canoe at age 7 and their transport to town is a one hour canoe ride every time. Even more than I cannot imagine living where I do with Mama permanently, I cannot imagine living on the water permanently, its incredible. People actually live this way for their entire lives. There are about 100 houses and almost 500 people living in this village and they have been here for 100s of years. In the rainy season they are almost always wet as the place floods and they drink the same water that they dump their waste in so I don’t know how they are not all in the middle of a cholera epidemic at all times but apparently they go collect their drinking water from the middle of the lake so it is a bit cleaner. We got out of the canoes at the village and walked around just observing the way these people live. I would hate to live here for more reasons than one but mainly I would hate it because there are 100s of tourists that come through every single day, mostly African tourists, and just walk in these people’s lives to see how they live. It would be terrible to never have any privacy or peace and quiet. It is a big source of income and sustainability for their village though so I guess it is worth it to them. They just got electricity here a month ago so radios and tvs were blaring all over…I am surprised that they could even get electricity here, its incredible. The houses are all built during the dry season when the water level is low and there was a church built a few years ago which was miscalculated and is now just flooded. Engineers really missed the mark on that one. They even have a primary/junior high school here. Its amazing I tell ya!
We sat down for a few minutes after walking through the village and we heard about the history and asked questions and such. History of human beings and how they came to be as they are, where they are is so interesting. When we were heading back to the canoes to leave I was first so I got the very front which also meant I was the main paddler. It was an even better view and better experience on the way back without anyone or anything else in my view but man rowing is hard! I had a huge wooden paddle for most of the time and my arms and shoulders were killin me. We did take turns a bit though and when I wasn’t paddling I was having the best time looking at the reflections and the scenery and of course upon exiting one of the jungles out into the open area I burst into song singing ‘Just Around the Riverbend’ and was just having the time of my life (I thought about my Erica for a bit after that because she loves Pocahontas and I cant believe I am so far away having such different experiences from all my bests.
 We are going to have the worlds best stories to tell one another when they all return from their missions!). We were the first ones of our group to get out because our guide had placed our canoe very strategically so for almost the entire time we were way ahead but toward the end one group started catching up and it turned into a race but man I was already so tired that I don’t think I was doing much in the way of speed so they caught up to us. When we were neck in neck I stood up and was paddling like crazy and everyone was screaming and laughing but freaking out because they cant swim and were terrified I was going to fall in. They passed us because right at the height of the race Emmanuel veered us to the side of the canal and we had to get out so another group could use our canoe. The crowd had gathered by the time we got back to the beach and where our car was and there were so many people there! We walked out to the beach to say hello and then walked back for lunch. It was of course fish, stew, and Kenke which is similar to Banku so we didn’t eat it. We had rock buns and soda though because they had brought that for snacks. Jackie and I had rock buns from earlier that we ate for breakfast so it was our second of the day but we had brought a few snacks too so we were happy to not eat fish. After lunch we went to the museum that was in a fort and we learned a little bit about the history about the people in this region but we had only been there for about 10 minutes when we were rushed out and all the nurses started hurrying back to the van. 
We had no idea what was going on but we just got in and the van started goin. A few hours later we pulled up to Busua Beach Resort and Jackie and I were in heaven. Oh on our drive there we were going through a little town and there was a truck blocking the road because he was doing about a 18 point turn and the driver was wearing a Sacramento Kings jersey. It made me so happy and I gave my home a nice shout out!! As soon as we got out of the van at the resort everyone headed straight to the beach but we walked right inside and felt air conditioning for the first time in months and it was so great! 
We used the bathroom and it was the cleanest feeling bathroom I have been in since leaving my house in April. We were just giddy with joy because the resort looked like a place we would go with our families and it felt so good. There were pools and hot tubs and people in bathing suits and a live band and a restaurant with amazing looking food and these cute bungalos where people stayed and lounge chairs on the beach and oh man it was just beautiful. After taking a tour of the place we stepped out onto the beach and were pleasantly surprised when we felt the sand beneath our feet. It was the softest sand I have ever felt in my whole life. We walked down the beach just enjoying the beauty of it all and the entire beach felt like silk beneath my toes. Ah it was heaven. I was so so so happy! We were kind of mad because we had forgotten clothes to go in the water in and there was no way we were going on an 8 hour ride home in salty, wet clothes so we just waded in the water and ran around on the beach and it was so fun. All the nurses who went in the water were hysterical and I was laughing so hard because I could tell they had, for the most part, never been in the ocean or the water before just by the way they were entering and playing about. It was such a fun time and I wish we could have stayed there all day! We left around dinner time and went to a hotel to meet Dr. Sarfo who bought us all dinner and the nurses just felt so pampered from the day, it was so cute. We piled back in the car after dinner and headed back. Since it was day time I allowed myself to stay awake and enjoyed the singing and instruments this time. I wished I could join but they were all Twi songs, so fun to hear though I loved listening to it. When they all got tired I got out my book and finished it on the way home. We got back home around 12:45 and Jackie and I crashed! It was such a grand adventure!

July 3, 2012
I woke up at 6 this morning, exhausted, to get ready for Kumasi. We left at 6:30 to meet the girls at the tro tro station at 7. I had 2 yum donuts for breakfast and they were so good because they were super hot and fresh. I will miss the donuts and sweet breads and such that is for sure. Its some of the only food that I really love. The drive was very squishy as we ended up in the back seat of the tro tro as we always seem to do and my legs are much too long to be back there most of the time but thankfully Cass, Nat and I were having a lot of laughs and good chats so it was a fine ride. It was raining which meant a lot less people out too so it only took a little over an hour to get to Kumasi which was great. The people here are all afraid of the rain I tell ya. It is so funny. We were a bit nervous going to the immigration office because we did not want there to be any problems with our Visas and we walked in, gave them our receipts, and a few minutes later the woman came out with all of our passports and an extended Visa for the perfect amount of time. We were thrilled and were out of there before 9 am. We went to the obruni market next to look for a picture frame so we could frame a picture of us for Mama but no luck there so we are going to figure something out to add to our parting gift to her. We headed to the Cultural Center which we have been told is a must see by many people but I was expecting much more than we found there. It was the strangest organization I have ever seen and there was no way of knowing where anything was so we did not find the things we were looking for without wandering around all over the place. Even after asking people where things were we were still confused. We went to an art gallery first and I wish so so so bad that I had a home to decorate because some of the paintings just jump out at me and I want them so bad but I cannot justify spending the amount of money for something I may never have a place for but man the technique and the style is just incredible. I love African artwork. Next we went to where the Kente weavers were and we watched as they used these huge looms to weave the Kente. It was different than those in the villages because it was more advanced but it takes so long to weave Kente but they are absolutely beautiful. We were almost enticed in by all the shops again but we already got all our trinkets in Cape Coast and for cheaper prices so we did not go to look at all the stuff. We finally found the museum and paid 4 cedi for a little tour. It was the tiniest little museum ever and the guide talked so fast that we could hardly ask questions and barely understood what things she was talking about but we just went back through afterward reading all the descriptions for ourselves and looking at everything alone. The museum highlights Ashanti history and tells about the King and his royal family and duties and such. There is still a King who reigns today and if the President of Ghana ever wants to do anything in the Ashanti region or if new legislation comes in the King has to approve first or nothing will go on. Its kind of cool but also confusing to have Kings and a President in Ghana. Cassie was meeting a man named Armstrong today at 11:00 because her great aunt and uncle had served a mission in Ghana and baptized him in Kumasi about 7 years ago and they really wanted her to meet him. Nat and I went to the restaurant to get a table (which was unnecessary seeing as we ended up being the only ones there) while Cass and Jackie went to go out and meet him. They came back with Armstrong, his wife, and his two kids Reagan and Vindrup. Cassie’s great uncle is Vindrup so he was named after him. This man was the sweetest most humble man I have come into contact with in a very long time. Even just upon shaking his hand and him sitting down at our table, he just exuded the love of Christ and I could feel it. He talked about his wife with such reverence and love and he just adored his children. It was so refreshing to see a family so affectionate and loving toward one another in public because in Ghana, there is hardly any public affection of any kind, ever. It just made my heart smile as he talked about the importance of family and how he was sealed to his wife and children 2 years ago in the Accra temple and he talked about how his family is the most important thing to him in the world. He told us his conversion story about how he threw the Book of Mormon away the first time he read it because of the ideas about the church in Ghana but something told him to get it back out and when he read it he felt something so strong that he could not put it down and he just knew that the words were true. He spent about a year not really knowing what to do about the church and that is when he met Cassie’s aunt and uncle. He only talked to them because he has a tender place in his heart for the elderly because he saw his own mother suffering to raise 10 boys by herself because his dad died when he was very young…they asked him a question and he told them he was hoping to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and laughed saying that he knew he was a golden investigator. His testimony is so pure and it was so refreshing to hear him talk about the Gospel and the man and woman who found him and taught him about it. He was also telling us about an NGO he was getting started for something to do with drug prevention because one of his brothers is a major drug addict and he wants to help in the fight against it. Everything this man said was just so beautiful and we were all smiling so big listening to him talk. After lunch we all took a picture and then walked out. We walked through the shops because he wanted to get a present for Cassie to take back and he ended up buying us all these beautiful gold Gye Nyame rings. Gye Nyame means ‘except God’ it is an Adinkra symbol which reminds people in Ghana that without God we could do nothing. The symbol is all over Ghana and I am so excited to wear this ring. It is like a CTR ring plus a reminder of Ghana. We headed to the tro tro station around 1 and were greatly surprised when we found that the line that people were waiting in actually meant that people would get on the tro tro in the order they had waited. There was a man making sure that it stayed so orderly and it was incredible. We got on the second tro tro because the line was really long but man it was nuts. We never see that. Ever. When we got to Agona we plowed through market and headed straight to the internet café because it was getting late. We had a grand time there as always and then headed home. Because we got home so late Mama had to prepare our food very late and we didn’t eat until around 8. In college, though it is bad for my metabolism, I can do it because I am still awake for a few hours and can go to the gym or already have but here I hate eating after 5. The rice and stew is always so heavy in my stomach and tonight we had fried plantain which I usually love but could hardly enjoy because it was so late. I was so excited to take a bucket shower and hop into bed and went to sleep at 10 on the nose. I love love love going to bed early here. Because its early but also because when I get woken up at 5:30 am by the goats and chickens and sweeping I will still have gotten a lot of sleep. That is of course if I was able to sleep, and my back usually hurts anyway buuuut I still love going to sleep. 

July 4, 2012
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!! I am not going to lie I am really sad to be missing this holiday. I love the fourth of July so much, it just makes me the happiest girl because it is a big party and there are fireworks and swimming and BBQ and man I just love it. That made today a little bit hard because I was just wishing I could be in America to celebrate. We are celebrating with the girls on Saturday but I just miss it. I guess I should be grateful it is not Christmas. I helped Mama around the house a little bit this morning because she let me while the woman was doing our laundry and when I came home later all the white things had been turned blue. Realllllly love laundry and clothes here. I went to the hospital mid-morning to do some interviews but they both fell through and it was raining today so I didn’t really know what to do because I don’t need tro observe consultations anymore and am spending the rest of the time just on interviews but I cant go out and talk to people while it is raining because everyone is hiding…rain was also good because of our laundry hanging on the line. Gotta love the rainy season in Ghana. It was just like an extra rinse though and all the detergent is never entirely out of our stuff so I was excited thinking the extra rinse would do the clothes some good. I just hung out at the hospital with Jackie and we did our best to celebrate America. We had wanted to get corn for lunch but the woman who is usually there every day without fail yelling ‘ABORO HYEEEEE’ which means ‘hot corn’ was not there today. On today of all days!! There were no watermelons on the street being sold either so our options were very limited. We settled for fried rice because it comes with fried chicken and we figured it was the most American thing we would get today and people eat fried chicken on the fourth right? 
We dedicated each bite to the founding fathers and were having a good laugh as we paid tribute to our freedom and independence in the best way we could here in Ghana. I decided that I would do something productive by going home and interviewing Mama so I did just that and was able to get some great insights and data for my research. Interviews are hard though let me tell you. Asking the right questions is crucial and it is hard to know when to say what to not miss opportunities for information and such. But it’s a good challenge, Im going to try really hard to get as many as I can in the next few weeks. Gender is a tough subject though, many times I feel like people are just answering questions with a certain portrayal of how things should be but from my observations I can see that things do not actually happen the way they  might say so that is an interesting aspect of interviews that certainly has to be accounted for. When Jackie and I got home today we made half of a package of chocolate muffin batter because her mom had sent it in her package. We just added some canned milk and stirred and ate it with some bananas cut up. Yes we loved eating that batter, it made us so happy! Later when I was reading my scriptures for the day I heard a bird chirping but I swear it sounded exactly like those screeching fireworks and it kept going off again and again and it made me smile so big because I felt like I was hearing fireworks and then I was reading the chapter heading for 3 Nephi chapter 21 and it said ‘The Gentiles shall be established as a free people in America’ which brought another smile to my face and I realized the tender mercies of the Lord which allowed me to appreciate the freedom we are blessed with in America. He gave me small reason to feel like I was celebrating our Independence even without being in America and I am very grateful for those tiny things which allowed me to find joy in today despite being homesick for America. One thing that is super lame that I realized today is that the power conversion here has absolutely shot the battery in my computer. I got a new battery last Fall because my other one was not holding charge well but now this one is even worse. It says that its 100% charged so I unplug it and within about 15 minutes it is down to 55%. That’s going to be annoying at school for sure but thankfully the power is much more reliable these days and it will definitely not be a problem in America so it will not be that bad. Tonight when I was heading in to tackle the bucket shower Mama was watching tv in the sitting room and American Idol was on. I sat down with her and watched because they were in Colorado and my little sisters are in Colorado right now so it made me so happy thinking about them. We laughed and laughed and had the best time and I have not been able to spend one on one time with Mama in a long time so it was very nice. I love this woman so much and I am really going to miss her. I had a grand old time singing the Star Spangled Banner as I bucket showered and really felt such appreciation for my America tonight. Thank you America

July 5, 2012
 This morning I was awoken at 5:20 to the sound of a cow bell being dinged and a town crier yelling right outside my window. I had no idea what he was saying but I knew that he had woken me up from a very deep sleep but then I was wide awake. If its not an animal, it’s a human…it’s a real good thing I try to go to bed so early here or I would never sleep because mornings are not much for getting a good rest. Nonetheless, when I woke up again at 7 to get ready for the day I was in a chipper mood. Many times when I would awaken for the first month I was filled with a sense of anxiety for the day because I was nervous about being able to understand things that were happening and I did not want to waste any time here. The second month came with those feelings on and off but I felt a lot more joy upon waking up that time around. This month is filled with joyous mornings and everything looks and feels so bright when I wake up. Each month has sort of come with its own dynamic and those different dynamics have led to different opportunities and different levels of learning which I am so grateful for. This dang rash is in no way getting any better and I could not sleep for a good chunk of time last night because I woke up so itchy and tried so hard not to itch but could find no other relief. It is just too much so Jackie and I went back to the Doctor today asking for an oral antibiotic. We just need Benadryl but he didn’t know what that was nor did they have it. The doctor said that he has never seen this rash before, nor anything like it so he had no idea what it was and said that we should go to the Dermatologist at a hospital near Kumasi. Neither of us have the time nor the money to go find a Dermatologist since we will be leaving here so soon so we asked if he could just give us an oral antibiotic. We were given prescriptions and went to the pharmacy to collect them. The medicines cost 25 cedi each which is a lot in my brain because I do not have that much to spare for this last month. I budgeted it out so that I would have just enough last time I pulled out of the bank because I didn’t want to have a lot of extra money but somehow I was way off. I hate pulling money out because dang Wells Fargo charges me 10 dollars every time. It’s so lame. Who cares if I am in Africa, it is still my money Wells Fargo. It is not hard for you to wire me moneys. You don’t even have to do anything its all computers!!! Whatever. After seeing the Doctor today there was a clinical meeting and I learned about an outbreak called Lassa Fever. There have been 2 cases in Ghana so far but many many more throughout Africa. The disease is carried by a rat, nast, and when someone is infected with it they will exhibit the same symptoms as a malaria patient and they die before anyone even knows it is not actually malaria. It was so interesting and scary at the same time. Just as fast as researchers are working to eradicate diseases new ones are popping up and there is no way to detect them fast enough to prevent people from dying. I was able to conduct 2 interviews this afternoon and they were both really great so I was in the best mood afterward. I went home around noon to transcribe but stopped to talk to people for a long time along the way so by the time Jackie was coming home I was still out on the street talking. It was fun because there was one girl who spoke English really well so I had conversations with her and then with other people who popped in and out, through her translating. I love just sitting down and talking to the people but there is always the ‘give me your backpack’ and ‘take me back to America’ aspect that drives me nuts. Not just concerning those things that I learn from the people here and understanding what makes me tick…I have learned so much about myself, my likes and dislikes and I have been able to be very in tune with my feelings since being here. that has been the coolest. Every day I learn more about myself as a person and I learn about my opinions too. I have always had a bit of a strong personality but I think there are always times where we don’t entirely understand who we are but I think I have gained a ton of insight on that being here so that is super cool. During my scripture study today Christ made the 3 Nephites immortal like John the Beloved so that they could remain on the earth to minister unto the people until He comes again. I’ve read that many times before but this time I was thinking so hard and trying to imagine what it is going to be like to hear about their lives and everything that they have been able to experience. it is going to be incredible. I cant wait to be reunited with everyone in heaven to learn about the expanses of knowledge and mysteries of the universe that we do not even have the capacity to understand while we are just mortal beings on this earth…but man heaven is going to be cool. I cannot imagine not believing in life after death, it would seem like there was no purpose in living on this earth. I pity everyone who chooses not to believe. They must lead a sad life. On another note, my family is the only ones who will understand this but I just watched Emily’s ‘basketball dance’ video and I laughed so hard and it made me so happy. I am just so obsessed with my family they are the absolute best. Also, today I was sitting down and talking with a few of the people that I pass by everyday and I was telling them about my family so I showed them a picture and one girl said that my mom and I had the same face, I was very flattered because my mother is the most wonderful woman I know and I would give anything to grow up and be just like her! I love you Ma, and Emma you are one crazy gal and I am excited for the endless sleepovers in a few weeks when I get home! Love you all so much! These are my pals, they come over every day and just scream and yell "PEACE PEACE PEACE" as they hold their hands in thumbs up position. They are friends with the booze man and never go to school so i dont really know what the deal is with them actually but i love them nonetheless.

July 6, 2012
    I planned to spend the day transcribing interviews today but after an hour the light went out and my computer did not have any juice left. I felt a bit discouraged in that moment because I had not planned anything for the day so I did not know what I should do to best use my time. I read a few conference talks, read my scriptures, and fell asleep on the couch for a few minutes and then decided to just go out and go to the hospital since I had to go pay for my medicine anyway. I hate the mood I get in when I am feeling unproductive and unsure about what to do with my time, it’s the worst; it also comes from being by myself I think. I was alone in the house for awhile while Mama went out and I am so not good at being alone. I need an hour or two every once in awhile to be alone but for the most part I am definitely someone who is much happier with people around me to keep me company. Ahhhhhh this rash is killing me!!! I am dying right now trying so hard not to itch everywhere. Feeling itchy is the WORST! This medicine better kick in, more, it better work period! I did not feel very happy when the Dr. said he had never seen anything like it before. I don’t have a whole lot of faith in the medicine I have been given because of that so yikes. Anyway, I had the best morning for awhile reading the conference talks and such. I started by just looking through an Ensign Jackie brought just looking at the different talks and then the pictures of people all at General Conference and I felt the spirit testify so strongly, even just as I was flipping through the pages, of the truthfulness of the words contained in that magazine and of the Latter-Day Prophets and Apostles. I know that the words they speak to us come from God and are meant for our day. When I walked to the hospital there were a ton of people there because it was a weigh day, and the first one of the month at that. The women come to the clinic every few weeks to every month to get their immunizations and to weigh their babies and they come in droves dressed to the nines. I hung out for a little while until Jackie was done with her batch and we went and paid the 25 dang cedis for our medicine. I hung around for a little while longer and then Jackie and I went home. I read my scriptures for the day and then I interviewed King. After my interview I sat out on the veranda with King and we both read our books and had discussions about the Gospel and baptism. It was really cool, I love this kid. Jackie had taken a nap and had been wanting to go see the town like I had at the beginning with King so when she woke up we all went on an adventure. We walked down through the bush which I hated because though it is so cool to go through and such an amazing sight, one of my worst things is walking through tall grass and weeds that whacks my legs and ankles. It just makes me cringe and it makes me super itchy and I just hate it. I trucked through like a champ though and we made it to the clearer parts so it was great. We took the coolest paths through the cocoa farms and King found ripe cocoa so that we could eat the fruit. Yes, the fruit...
Cocoa seed are surrounded by these delicious, slimy, white fruits that taste so good and fresh. It is a taste uncomparable to any other fruit so I don’t even know how to describe it but it was so fun to eat. You just pop in the seed, each of which is about the size of a cherry, and you suck off all the white fruit around the seed and then spit it out. The seed is what is dried out and used in the making of chocolate. I had a grand time eating that fruit, trekking through the bush on our great adventure. We were on a walk that seemed like something people would go pay to do, it was so pretty and the cocoa groves are so great! We walked back up by the well so that we could wash our feet off because we had been walking in the mud and it was a party there! I felt like I had just come to join everyone at the watering hole in the pride lands. Mama sent our good pal Kwasi to fill the gas back up and he had not yet returned so we had to cook over the coals tonight. Mama set it up with the stool, the stove and a little table directing me toward it saying “tonight you cook like an Ashanti woman” so I did. It was actually very fun. I naturally felt like I was camping but that is kind of how it always feels here. I also found that it is great to cook outside, especially when onions are used because I cut a whole onion and did not shed one tear. It was great! The dinner was very good too so that made it fun. While I did my notes for the day Jackie and King played cards and when I finished we tried to watch a movie. Jackie and I were both excited to share one of our favorite American classics with King tonight, that being Goonies, turns out I was reallllly tired because the last thing I remembered watching when I awoke to the end credits was mouth reading the map in the attic. Fell right asleep on that one. I get so tired here all the days. Oh well.


July 7, 2012
   So awhile ago while we were driving from Agona to Asamang Jackie mentioned how she wanted to walk the road just for fun. I did not think that sounded fun at first, but then I realized that it would be sweet because I love looking around when we are in the taxis. So we headed out around 9 and were off! It was quite the adventure I tell ya. It was really fun because we were able to look closely at the jungle that we love seeing as it flies by and we could see every leaf and flower. People passing by us thought we were nuts because they don’t understand why we would ever just walk somewhere to walk but it was so cool. About halfway through my feet were kind of bugging me because I walk in my Chacos every day but I am not used to walking for a straight hour on the pavement. They were more meant for ranning around on adventures. Plus whenever we have been going all about during the day we always go from place to place and there is never a continuous 2 hours of straight walking. Hiking and such is different too because it was just walking on the pavement for 2 hours and though the jungles around us were beautiful I would have much rather been exploring in them. They looked so mysterious and magical, but who knows what kind of things were lurking in there…I was not brave enough to find out. We were walking along talking about how we felt like missionaries minus the ability to contact people on the street and all of a sudden Jackie flipped out and ran across the street. I just stood there so confused and looked down at the ground and saw this big black scorpion. 
I, not knowing it was a bad, walked over to it thinking it was the coolest thing and though still too scared to get too close examined it well. It was not squished so I was not actually entirely sure if it was dead or alive but I was just laughing too hard because Jackie was basically hyperventilating. I found out her biggest fear, good thing we didn’t see that in the first few weeks. At another point on our walk we were just minding our own business on the side of the road when a taxi nearly ran us over. I was honestly so scared, it could not have been more than a foot away from us as it zoomed by. I think the driver did it on purpose because he was not dodging any pot holes at that point in the road and he had the entire width of the road to drive. So scary. We made it to the taxi station around 10:45 and after I bought a watermelon we hopped on one to Wiamoase. We went and met up with Cass and Nat so we could go to a cultural celebration at the Senior High. We hung around their house for awhile laughing and eating watermelon and then we walked up to the Senior High. I think the walk to Agona was about 6 or 7 miles and then the walk to the school and back is easily over 2 miles so we real great exercise today... even the roads are hilly so it was great! The event was supposed to start at 1 so we arrived at 1:45 thinking we would be getting there on time but according to African time we were way too early. It didn’t start until 3 so we just hung out and bought vitamilk and shortbread and sat under a tree talking and laughing. I love these girls, we laugh so so much when we are together and it is the best. The event was actually a fundraiser for the school so that they could build and stock a library so there were important people there and the school put on a show with songs, a military show, and dancing. It was super fun to watch aside from the speeches we didn’t understand and the fundraising part which was long and boring to us since we did not know what was happening. Some of the Senior High kids are our age so it is super fun to be around them and to see what their lives are like here. 

The schools are so so different from any school in America. The way they are run, their curriculum, their standards…so different. We were there until about 5:30 and then we headed home because Mama was preparing our dinner. On the taxi ride back to Agona we had another near death experience with a taxi but this time we were inside. These taxis scare me so bad sometimes but we have no other way of getting around. I just pray for my safety errday! I was thinking about it though and I do not understand the phrase, “I saw my life flash before my eyes” because twice today I was honestly afraid for my life yet the only think I was thinking about was what was happening in that very moment. I don’t think that is really what happens when people feel like they are about to die. Maybe after, it was definitely an afterthought of, what would I have to show for my life if I had just died…maybe that is what they are talking about. Who knows. We were way tired when we got home so we just watched Friends while we ate dinner and then I did some notes for the day. While I was sitting there typing I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and looked down and there was a HUGE spider crawling around. I literally was paralyzed and I yelled for Jackie to get someone to kill it because I did not want to step down nor did I want to lose sight of it. Mama’s friend was over chatting with her and he came in with a broom and swatted it. They were laughing as they always do at our fear of the spiders but this one was seriously so big! I worked out, and went to sleep. I love sleep yes I do. I will love it even more when I actually get to sleep well again!

July 8, 2012
   Well today was worlds best as Sundays usually are. We weren’t asked to teach anything in church today so that was a relief because it really is quite impossible to teach when you don’t know the language unless you are teaching with the Spirit and the gift of tongues of course…but that is not our priority here and we aren’t missionaries so we weren’t quite prepared for that in teaching Young Womens and Primary. It was nice to be able to just read scriptures and conference talks and the lesson manuals and get something out of church today. Of course taking the Sacrament is a beautiful privilege that I feel blessed to have here in a rural village in Ghana, Africa, but being able to enjoy the rest of the hours of church feels wonderful. Its nothing like it will be at home when we can actually participate in Sunday school again and understand the talks coming from the pulpit but its great for what we’ve got here. I was feeling very anxious the last few days about just getting home because I am so sick of this rash and the Doctor didn’t know what it was and we think it is something that we are breathing in from our room and I was just really frustrated so I told Jackie that I thought we should get blessings from the Priesthood today. We asked Brother Tewea if he and another could give us blessings after church and he said yes so we were very happy. We went up into the clerks office and Brother Tewea and Elder Yamoah administered Priesthood Blessings of healing to Jackie and I. I cannot even describe the feelings that I had because I feel like it was too sacred an experience. It was truly so so beautiful and I am ever grateful that I was blessed with that experience. We watched the Testaments again since we just completed reading about Christ ministering unto the Nephites and though it doesn’t line up exactly with the timeline, it is so fun to see things come alive. I have such a strong testimony of the events that transpired when Christ came to minister unto them and it brought peace for what, 100 years or something…it must have been the most remarkable experience ever. Somehow Cassie and I got talking about Saturday’s Warrior after that and we were laughing so hard because we could remember all the songs and were just having the best time reminiscing about how much we loved it when we were little. Cass found the soundtrack on her iTunes so we listened to it and sang along…man I love reliving memories from my childhood. Kills me every time to remember the funny things that I liked. Dinner tonight was so good that I had seconds. Mama put curry powder in our rice and eggs in the kuntumrie stew and everything was fresh so it tasted so good. yep liked the foods in Africa. Monumental day I say. Mama told us some Ananse stories tonight which are traditional Ghanaian stories about a spider and he teaches you morals and values, after that we walked outside and King was dancing so we had a big dance party and even Mama was dancing…yes I know it is still the Sabbath, sorry. We walked the girls to the taxi and walking past the field on the way back I wanted to catch fireflies way bad. We didn’t have a jar or anything but we just tried to catch them with our hands and it was so so fun! This little bug is seriously magic. Looking out and seeing all the twinkling lights is so beautiful and it was the best, most fun thing to run after them on the pathways, being sure not to squish any, trying to catch them in your hands and after catching one, watching it crawl around as its butt lights up. Remarkable little creatures really. This place is really so beautiful. There are so many things that just blow my mind and I am so happy to be here experiencing it. I love dancing with King, I am starting to love rice, I love taking walks at night, I love fireflies, I love laughing, I love Mexican soaps, I love talking to my little brother about his adventures, I love talking with my sweet mother, and I love hearing about the happiness that people are finding at home. My mom told me that my best friend Tyler is ENGAGED. 
 So many things are changing at home and it is just weird to realize how far away I have been from it all. I am so so happy for him and for everyone who is experiencing such amazing changes at home but tonight was the first time when I realized that it is really hard to be so far away while my best friends and family are going through these experiences that I am not a part of. Tyler was the last of my crew to be in Provo, not getting married or on a mission, and the one that I was counting on being constant when I returned to school but now it really will just be me starting over. I am just very very grateful that I still have Trent. Being at this stage in life really is so weird. I am thankful for the girls here because the friendships that we have made will be so fun to carry over but man this year is going to be so different from any other in college. For that reason I am a bit nervous to go back to America. It means back to reality. 
  
July 9, 2012
Today was arguably the BEST Monday I have ever had. I was reading a conference talk this morning by Elder Kent F. Richards of the Seventy from May 2011 session called ‘The Atonement Covers All Pain’ and I had an epiphany about blessings of healing. I realized that after my blessing yesterday I half expected my rash to just be completely gone and was a tiny bit disappointed when I looked and it wasn’t…lack of faith on my part I know, yet when reading this talk this morning I discovered something about healing. There is a part in the talk where he says that “sometimes we are ‘healed’ by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us” in that moment I realized that I was given that sort of blessing and remembering the words which were spoken, those are the words that were said. There was not a miraculous miracle where Christ said ‘be healed’ and my leprosy was cured…but I was given what I need at this time. Right now. I have not yet learned the patience and understanding that the Lord needs me to learn from enduring this physical ailment here in Ghana. Maybe he thinks I have been too happy here, I sure do know that God has a sense of humor; but after reading that I am going to endure this pain with the knowledge that ‘all these things shall give thee experience’. Thankfully I have not gotten more sick here but what is a learning experience without any major challenges. I know that I definitely needed to be humbled for it is in our trials and afflictions that we come to know God the most. I have definitely come to know Him and have grown closer to Him through this experience and that was a good reminder that we are never done working on our relationship with Him and our Savior. It is a constant work, one that should never be neglected. I think God gives us trials and challenges so that we will not forget that. He gives us the opportunity to draw even nearer to Him and for that I am very grateful. I spent a few hours at home this morning transcribing interviews and hanging out with King. We had so much fun watching the Insider and talking about celebrity gossip and American movies, I love this boy. Turns out he is younger than I thought. He was talking to me about how many people have to lie about their ages in Ghana if they want to get things and how money can get you anywhere and later when I was driving to Agona with one of the pharmacists he was telling me about the corruption with drivers and how someone could just give them officer money and he would not have to pass his test or show anything for it…that’s why the taxis are so terrifying. After a few hours of transcribing interviews this morning I watched some of the Insider with King because it was on and it was funny to hear about the celebrity gossip in America because I literally have no idea what is going on with anything and there was also a top 10 in the box office segment and the only movie I had even heard of was the Avengers. It is so weird to not be aware of anything that is going on in my home. The neighbors were burning trash outside last night and this morning and it places a weird fog in the air and also smells so bad, I do not like that at all no no. Also, I saw a bunch of cows grazing in the huge trash pile today… I do not regret my decision to not eat meat while I am here because that is a disease waiting to happen. In the late afternoon I went to interview the head Pharmacist at the hospital but he had to go to the bank in Agona so I went along. We had the best conversations in the car about Ghana and all the corruption that is in so many of the businesses because everyone is so driven by money, during our interview there were so many things he was saying that frustrated me so bad. I wish that humans would just take initiative to help themselves. So many people in Ghana just think that the government should be doing everything for them…especially with the malaria epeidemic. They don’t understand why they keep getting it, yet they don’t do anything to prevent mosquitoes from biting them nor do they take any measures to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes. It is infuriating because we as a race are capable of so much good but ignorance and laziness are the downfall of so many nations. Our interview lasted over an hour and I had to cut it off even then so that I could make it home for dinner. We had curry rice and kuntumrie again but I am getting so good at eating food here that I actually liked it. I am really starting to love rice, too bad it is towards the end of my stay and wasn’t at the beginning. 
That would have been nice to have loved the food and enjoyed eating it a long time ago. Oh well. After dinner Jackie and I went to go learn how to make donuts, the real good ones that I love. Turns out the dough is mixed with machines in Agona so we didn’t go to watch that but I bet a kitchenaid could do the same thing! We went to where we were supposed to meet our pal Linda and her sister and waited for them. Everyone kept asking us what we were doing though no one spoke English well so it was hard to explain to them that we were waiting to learn to make donuts and they just kept saying that the donuts are finished but finally, someone got what we were trying to say and invited us to sit down with them and wait. One of the women was very old and she recognized that we were members of the church and told us that she is a member of the church. She is very old so I have never seen her there before but she was so cute. Her name is Sarah and I told her that my sister’s name is Sarah but I think she thought I was saying my name is Sarah because she got so excited and gave me a huge hug and we were bffs after that. I love the humans here. The sun was setting in the sky at this time and the sky seriously looked heavenly. I don’t know how to describe it, it was one of the most beautiful things ever. Our pals came and we followed them to the house where we entered this cage like place and the table was wiped off with a cloth. We sat down and watched as she cut up pieces off this huge thing of dough and started to shape them into little people donuts and circle donuts. They are not donuts by our standards by any means but more just a sweet bread. 
We had not been there long before a whole community of children and adults had gathered around us laughing as we repeated Twi songs and phrases after them. It was very funny and we were all dying of laughter. We saw a turtle shell which was strange, turns out it was a real turtle. Where the heck they got a turtle I have NO idea. It was hiding in its shell so I was confused thinking it was dead but indeed it was alive. We tried our hand at making the donuts and then as we were singing they asked us to dance Azonto. That request is thrown out at us every single day as we walk through town but we have been ignoring it because if we gave in we would dance all the days and never make it home. But we danced the night away as they all sang the songs and we played these hand clap games and another called Ampe that I cannot get the rhythm for. It was so fun and my two favorite girls were there so it was just a blast. 
They are both such beautiful children and I am going to miss them for sure. When it was getting really dark we went and they told us to come back every day. We laughed and said we would come soon. Akua and her little sister walked us home holding our hands and it was so tender I was just wishing I could savor that moment forever. 
The stars were coming out super bright in the sky and as we walked through the meadow the fireflies were dancing all around us. Jackie and I started catching them and Akua was scared because she thought they would bite but we showed her how they just glow in your hand and she and her little sister Grace were so cute just giggling and laughing. Fireflies and stars really are magical. When we got home we settled in and a few minutes later Mayvis surprised us! She finished her last exam and is now a University graduate and decided to come straight home. It is so fun to have her around too. We all talked as we looked up at the stars but then I had to be a good girl and go do more transcription and field notes for the day. Im so excited to go home and have a break from typing. It will be much needed before I start writing my senior thesis in the fall and feel like my palms are bruised again like I always do here with the hours and hours of typing. Im so quick though I can type a mile a minute after hours of practice every day for the last 3 months; im learning great skills I tell ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment