Today is Day 4 in Ghana . The last 72 hours have gone
by so fast and so slow at the same time. I cannot even believe that I was in California just last
week. Let me just tell you about my week, sorry if this takes a long time to
read, I don’t want to leave anything out. So on Sunday morning I left for Ghana . Ma and I
drove to the airport at 7:50 am. I arrived and got my plane tickets with no
fuss and all was well. I went from Sacramento to
LAX to Washington D.C to Accra .
Saying goodbye to my family was not as hard as I thought it would be (sorry
family) which I am grateful for because otherwise this would have been even
harder than it has been so far. It hasn’t been super stressful or anything but
adjusting is super weird. I am surprised that I haven’t; cried yet though I
think I would if I heard anyones voice. I met up with my group of girls (there
are 4 of us) in Washington D.C and naturally we were like 4 of 9 non-Ghanaians
on the plane so we were all ready to stand out. We tried to get all our seats
together but couldn’t because United is the worst. I was in between 2 large men
for 11 hours. Surprisingly though, it was not THAT bad. As we were getting
ready to take off the Captain came on the radio and said that there was a hole
in the cargo hold which would take about an hour to fix. An hour and a half
later we were ready to go. Just about an hour before the plane was to land I
took my malaria pill because I wanted to take it with food so I didn’t get
nauseous but that did not work. When we were descending I started feeling SUPER
sick. I was praying that I wouldn’t
throw up and that it was just from the pill but I think with a combination of
airplane food, malaria pill, 11 hours on the plane, and the fact that I was
about to touch down in Ghana…I threw up. Right there into the doggy bag. I
never actually thought I would have to use one. I felt really bad for the guys
next to me cause man it was so gross. Throwing up is honestly the worst. When
we landed successfully I was fine and it was funny because the Ghanaians
started clapping. As soon as the cabin doors opened I could feel the heat. The
humidity is very heavy here, it makes my hair curl. It feels kind of like the
butterfly house at 6 flags. We walked off of the plane right onto the Tarmac
and then hopped onto a trolley. To get through immigration we had to show our
passports, yellow fever cards, and they took a picture of us and took our
fingerprints. We made it through with no problems and none of our bags were
checked by customs nor were any lost so we were very happy. Jackie’s old piano
teacher met us at the airport because her husband is the Church Welfare
Humanitarian President in Ghana or something like that but the father of the
family we were going to stay with that night was there as well because of
miscommunication though it was better to be double booked than to not have
anyone there to meet us at all. Cassies friend at BYU, Barima said we had to go
see his family while we were in Accra and he
offered to have us stay there so we did not have to deal with any hassle in Accra which was a real
blessing. Here is us with him and his wife:
They helped us exchange money at the airport bank and the rate is
1.75 Ghana
cedi to 1 Us dollar so we get almost double the money which is awesome. Brother
Kwarteng took us to the temple in Accra
so we could see it but since it was Monday afternoon (around 4) we could not go
do baptisms or anything. It was cool just to be there though.
From the temple
we went around Accra for a bit and then to his
town of Tema .
Jackie needed to buy a phone so we went to a little market and it was packed
with people even late when it was getting dark. There are goats and chickens
roaming EVERYWHERE, street vendors too, everywhere you go there is a market
here or people hawking their goods on the street, literally, they walk between
the lanes of cars and try to sell you things that they are carrying on their
heads. I am going to learn to carry things on my head because it is SO
efficient. Many Ghanaian people dress similar to the way we dress in the states
but you also so a lot of traditional Ghanaian clothing or little ones running
around naked. It would be nice if we could all do that because I bet it sure is
much cooler than wearing clothes here! Even after my bucket shower and towel I
still feel wet from the humidity. By the time we got to Brother Kwartengs home,
which was a palace, so beautiful, it was pretty late in our eyes because we
hadn’t slept the night before, at least I had not slept on the plane really.
His wife had prepared a meal of rice and a sort of beef sauce for us to eat and
it was a different taste than like spaghetti sauce but it was good. Brother and
sister Kwarteng work at the MTC so after dinner Brother Kwartend wanted to
introduce us to the Mission President. He was not there but we went around to
all the classrooms and introduced ourselves to the elders. The sacrament
meeting room was air conditioned but I think it was the only part of the builfing
that was. The missionaries were all so happy there though and it was very fun
to go meet them and feel the spirit there. there are about 55 missionaries
there right now. We only saw 2 white elders and they were not as excited to see
us as the other elders, they probably knew how bad we looked from traveling and
not sleeping or showering haha. We then went back to the Kwartengs to sleep
around 9:30 and a huge rain storm started as we got into bed which lulled me to
sleep. Sleeping was hard because my body clock was so off but I got a few solid
hours.
May 1
A man started talking to everyone in the bus
as we were pulling away and was preaching to us about God. It was very loud and
he was shouting for people to accept God and repent; Very different approach
than Mormon missionaries. Many Ghanaian people are very religious though. They
rely a lot on God which I really appreciate because I can relate to that. After
about 30 minutes we pulled into a gas station to fill up with gas around 8:40
and were still sitting there an hour later. I didn’t know what was going on
until a new bus showed up and we switched buses. It was now 10:18 and we were
supposed to be almost to Kumasi
by now. While we waited we decided to venture into the rest room. That was my
first adventure with a bathroom and no toilet. A hole in the corner is
sometimes all you get. It took me a minute to figure out what to do, its not
exactly like squatting in the woods while camping. Once we switched busses it
was onto the bumpy roads for a few hours. It felt like Indiana Jones the whole
time. It was kind of fun. I was very entertained on this bus ride because there
was so much to see. What was supposed to be a 5 or 6 hour ride turned into
about 8 but I didn’t mind. We were going from the city inland so I got to see a
lot of different things. The culture here is very social. Everyone is outside
hanging out all the time, probably because it is cooler under the shade with a
breeze than it is inside. In America I feel like we always think we need to be
doing something, that is so not the case here from what I have observed. People
have a different sense of time. It is not about o’clocks and appointments but
rather about spending time with people. Drivers are super aggressive here and
through there are lanes and speed limits cars just cut each other off and try
to merge between two lanes to pass people and I always think we are going to
hit someone. The whole time in the bus they played these Ghanaian movies which
were all about divorce and murder, so loud and abrupt. Not like the sappy love
stories and ridiculous comedies I love so much ha I get that from Erica and my
mothers “happy Christmas shows”. Along the highway I have seen men with
machetes cutting grass, no lawnmowers there. I have also seen children with
huge knives and machetes skinning their apples and mangos to eat. I loved
driving through the towns on the bus because when the children who were helping
their mothers at the stand would see me through the window they would smile and
wave. All the children here call us “obruni” which means white man. They yell
it and sometimes run and come up to you but they always have the biggest smiles
on their faces. I really enjoyed the bus ride which may have also been because
it was air conditioned. Upon arriving in Kumasi
at the last stop we got off the bus. There were SOOOOO many people there and we
were all overwhelmed because all these people who were not on our bus were
trying to look at the luggage and the driver and his mate were pushing them
away and there was a lot of yelling and I finally decided to stop being patient
and just push my way to the front and get the driver to get our luggage. He got
all our luggage and taxi drivers were grabbing our luggage trying to get us to
come with them. We just picked one and followed because we were too overwhelmed
to discuss rates. He ripped us off with 55 cedi to Wiamoase where Cassie and
Natalie would be staying but we got tired of negotiating and didn’t want to
move to another taxi. On the car ride to Wiamoase there was an accident so that
delayed us about another 20 minutes.
At this point Madame Esther and Mama Doris
were calling Jackie asking where we were because even though Jackie said we
would be late we should have been there hours ago. We finally arrived in
Wiamoase, dropped off Cassie and Natalie and met Madame Esther and her son
Emmanuel and then took off to Asamang when it was already dark. Our taxi driver
turned around before we reached Asamang when he thought he had gone too far and
then had to turn around again when he finally pulled over to ask where Asamang
was. Needless to say it was a VERY long journey to arrive in Asamang but I was
not annoyed or anxious as I probably would have been in America. I was too busy
just looking at everything and taking in Africa .
Mama Doris was very happy to see us and she along with her mother, son King,
younger sister and baby, and a few nieces and nephews were all our in the
courtyard when we walked in. I cannot get enough of the kids, no offense to
white babies but these kids honestly are cuter than anything I have ever seen
(despite my nephews of course) but they are all just so beautiful. We chatted for
awhile and ate some dinner which was very similar to what we ate the night
before in Accra
but instead of beef we ate rice with the sauce and mackerel. Mama calls it
Garden Stew and it consists of tomatoes,
tomato paste, garden eggs which are some kind of whitish veggie, onions, and
mackerel. I knew I would have fish so I was not surprised but it was very
fishy. Seeing as I had only eaten granola bars that day I did not have much of
a stomach for it but I ate as much as I could. Mama then gave us a tour of the
house. Jackie and I share a full bed under a mosquito net and have one table in
our room. I am thinking about buying some wood to build a dresser because I
don’t think I can live out of my suitcase for 3 months. The shower has a tile
basin and you use a little bucket to dip into a bigger bucket to shower. The
toilets are toilets but they don’t flush. Ours is missing a toilet seat too,
you just do your thang and then pour a bucket of water in and it gets sucked
down or something, I don’t really get it. Ma, I should have brought a 3 month
supply of hand sanitizer, don’t know what I was thinking. Jackie and I were
super tired so after touring around the house we washed off with baby wipes and
went to bed. It took me awhile to fall asleep despite the two sleeping pills I
took because my mind was racing and I think I was still confused about what
time it was and what time my body felt like it should but once I fell asleep I
slept well.
May 2
We woke up
at about 8:50 am this morning. Jackie went out to tackle the bucket shower but
came right back in saying that Mama had a friend here with fabric to show us.
Last night I mentioned that I loved her mothers traditional dress and that I
wanted one. Prompt. They were all so beautiful and it was hard to choose but
with retainers still in I chose one and we bought them for 33 cedi. It is a lot
of fabric so it seems cheap. I cant wait for you all to see my dress, it is
going to be beautiful! After Jackie showered I tackled that bucket shower and
didn’t dare try to wash my hair yet but I think I figured it out like a champ.
It is not that hard once you figure out the best way. King was playing Beyonce
in the other room so that was fun to listen to. Next time I will sing along, he
is a little shy right now getting to know us. Around 10:30 Janet, Mama’s house
helper brought us breakfast. Same as last night and much harder to eat in the
morning but I did my best. Jackie and I talked with Mama for a few hours and
learned some more Twi then in the late afternoon we went with Janet to buy food
for dinner. When we walked through the village I was so happy. These people
live in very humble circumstances but the people are all so happy. The children
especially, they are just running and laughing and playing and whenever they
see us they yell “obruni” with big smiles on their faces and ever bigger smiles
when we wave or try to speak to them in Twi.
I know basic greetings and things.
We will practice more with King, Mama says he is a good teacher. I have been a
little bit shy with Mama but at the end of today I feel more at home. We took a
nap after market because the heat makes you quite tired and then watched a
Mexican soap opera with voice overs with mama and the kids. So funny. We had
garden stew again tonight but with yams this time so it was much easier to eat,
yams are like potatoes and the stew is quite good fresh. I don’t think the fish
taste has settled in so much yet. Im getting used to the smells here, very
different than what I am used to but it will get better. Right now it is 11:20
pm, I am typing this out on Word so I don’t have to spend a lot of time at the
internet café. There is a huge rain and thunder storm right now so I cant
sleep, I tried not to take sleeping pills so I don’t get used to them but I
gave up and am waiting for them to kick in. Im sweating so much right now
because we have the fan pointed at the bed and Jackie is trying to sleep so I
don’t want to disturb her but man I feel like I need to shower again. After our
naps today we went and sat outside underneath the cashew tree to read the Book
of Mormon and write in our journals and watch mama cook. The kitchen is
outside. Mama has mango trees, plantain trees, cashew trees, an avocado tree, a
pineapple bush kinda thing, and a guava tree. None of it is quite ready to pick
but I cannot wait to taste it all. That is what I will try to live off of here.
Fruit and cashews. And We are going to make fufu but we have to wait until
Tuesday because on Tuesdays there is a huge market in Agona just about 15
minutes away and that is where all the good stuff is and where we will get all
the food for the next week so we can get what we like on Tuesday. As we were
sitting there word had spread about the obrunis so kids were coming up to mamas
gate and yelling ‘obruni obruni” some would peek inside so after I got done
chasing chickens out of the courtyard I went out and talked to them. The
primary age kids speak English because they learn it and are supposed to only
speak English so they laughed when I tried to speak Twi or would say ‘ya ya’ or
would speak little English to me, I think they are shy but I cant wait to get
out and play soccer and stuff with them. they all wanted us to come out and
play but we were helping mama. After dinner we sat around and talked with Mama
some more and around 8:30 went to shower. We decided nights are best because we
are covered in sunscreen and mosquito repellant. I washed my hair tonight and
it is not as hard as I anticipated. I just fill up the bucket so it is almost
full and dunk my head in it, then I lather up and rinse off. Piece of cake. The
water is always a little cold the first time you splash it on but then you
don’t mind. Mama was talking to us about all the cultural things we will do
later on and I am so excited. I love to sit and talk with Mama and others but I
get restless staying in one place when I feel like there is so much to see so I
can’t wait to be out there in the community. Mama is going to take us to the
hospital on Friday to introduce us to people so we can work with them, she
works there as a midwife. I am going to try to sleep now, lightning just lit up
my room so bright.
May 3
I woke up
this morning at 7 because Cassie and Natalie were coming at 7:30 to meet Mama
Doris and see our house. We walked out to meet them at the Presbytyrian church
and It was the first time we had walked outside the gates of Mamas house alone.
It is so wonderful in this village. We were so happy to see each other and the
best part was when Cassie opened up her bag and pulled out donuts. They were SO
good and it was a relief from the meal we had been eating over and over and
over again. We went back to Mama Doris’s house and introduced our friends. We
wanted to leave for Agona straight away because we were all anxious to get to
the internet café but Mama had called the carpenter since I mentioned I wanted
to build a shelf and he was coming over. I talked to him about the shelf and he
wanted 40 cedi for it. I asked if I could just buy wood and build it myself but
they just laughed. I might just start collecting wood and have King help me
find nails because I don’t want to spend 40 cedi on something I will only have
for 3 months. Then we tried to leave again but Mama would not let us because we
had to eat. Janet warmed up the good ol gardeners stew for us again and we
tried to scarf it down but only could manage a few bites. I feel so bad every time
I don’t finish it but rice fills me up so quick. I am praying that Tuesday will
come fast so we can buy things at the market that will suit our stomachs.
Cassie and Natalie have been eating like queens! Madame Esther brought in a
woman to teach them how to cook and the things they have been eating sound sooo
good. They are going to teach us because I cant do gardeners stew for 3
straight days, every meal. Call me spoiled but it is hard to eat the same thing
for days straight for every meal. Even if it was my favorite meal I don’t think
I could do it. Pray that I don’t lose too much weight before Tuesday. I am
trying to ration my dried fruit and granola bars to last me the whole 3 months
so I haven’t been eating much but I drink a lot of water and I am good. We were
finally off and Mama wanted us to stop at the hospital to meet the people we
would be working with today instead of tomorrow so we did. We got there and
waited for about an hour and a half but all the waiting here is fine because we
just talk to the people in the little Twi we know and their faces light up when
we try to speak their language. A lot of people want us to take picture of them
and then they ask for a copy, I wish I had a Polaroid camera so I could give
them their picture. Many of these people have never seen a picture of
themselves. Once we met the administrators and those we needed to get
permission from they were very excited to hear about our projects so that was
fun. They are excited to work with us so that’s good that we wont have any
trouble gaining access to the hospital and our research. Once we left the
hospital we hopped in a taxi with King and he brought us here to Agona where we
are at the internet café. It is hard to adjust but it has been so fun. I love
today and I know that Tuesdays will be great because being the whole crew is
super fun. Well that is where we are at so far. My Twi is already improving and
I have the basic interactions down. Until Tuesday!!!
Your travel to Ghanna sounds a lot like our travel to India. As I read through many of the experiences you had, I was like yup that is what happened to us too. I'm sure the first little bit has been adapting to the new culture and environment. It's a very exciting experience to be able to throw yourself into a brand new community. We have had to learn a lot about the way things are done not only in India in general, but how things are done in our village. Life is so different that when you sit down to write at night, you have tons to talk about and explain. With all of our projects over here, we have to learn about common lingo and the way things are worded before we can jump into our research. Hopefully things remain exciting for you as you grow better at getting used to the new and environment and culture. Good luck with your research!
ReplyDelete