Tuesday, May 7, 2013

All the world's a stage...

     One of the most beautiful sights to me these days is the American flag waving in the wind. Big or small I marvel at the beauty of this symbol of freedom. It helps that the snowcapped mountains are ususually in the background, I admit, Utah is so beautiful. It has given me a lot of time to reminisce on the beautiful life I lead with the freedom and the opportunity that I enjoy. Sure there is a lot going on in politics these days that is frustrating to say the least, yet I still love America and I am still free from many of the cares of the world... that I am grateful for.
This time last year I was still getting over the shock of living in a new world, a place that I love so dearly, my Ghana. Anxious as it makes me now to think about going back to the challenges I faced there, I love that place. My heart aches for it sometimes and I wish more than anything that I could speak with the people that I came to know and love so much. I have noticed that I am still having a much harder time with reverse culture shock now than I was when I first got back or even in these past few months... I find myself being upset about something and then thinking about how insignificant my worries are compared to some of those which others in this world deal with every single day. I live my life and my life is a piece of cake, I really do live in the promised land and it leaves me feeling guilty for the ease at which I am able to live out my days sometimes. I know that it shouldn't because I was placed here at this time, in this place for a purpose and I have faith in that... I know that my Heavenly Father has a plan for ME, that He knows me better than I know myself and that He knows my purpose, my mission here on earth, but sometimes it is hard. It is hard to have faith in the future, it is hard to hope for something better when something good has been taken away, it is hard to go through trials with a positive attitude, keeping in perspective that it is a refining experience, one which will allow me to grow stronger and more faithful. But it is also hard to not empathize with those humans who live under harsh circumstances with more unknowns to face in a single day than I am facing right now as I try to plan out my next few months. Today last year I was just venturing into Kumasi for the first time, experiencing a tro tro for the first time, seeing things that I had never seen before and again learning to make my own way, to be confident in a new place, and to deal with international issues. It is crazy to think that I was in Africa a year ago and now, because of that experience, I have a Bachelors degree from BYU and no idea where it will take me. It is a bit scary but SO exciting...the world is my stage!!

Like Shakespeare says, "one man in his time plays many parts". I know that I have played many parts thus far and that I have many more parts to play during my existence on this earth and that is so exciting. Exciting to be a part of a greater plan. Exciting to know that as long as I am faithful and stay close to the Spirit, I can be guided along the path that has been set out for me. I love having that knowledge. It helps me to stay strong, to stay faithful, and to stay hopeful in the future, knowing that I can and will find so much joy in the journey and in the destination. I could not enjoy the attitude that I do without the Gospel, of that I am sure. I would be lost without it. Trials only strengthen me and give me a greater resolve to stay close to the Savior and to my Heavenly Father so that I can be happy on this earth. Even though I do not see what is up ahead, the Lord does, and He will be there to hold my hand every step of the way if I let Him. For that, I am not afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment