I just read Babbie's "Qualitative Field Research and Research Design" and learned the answer to why I am seeking learning through Field Research.I've been involved in quantitative research methods and abstract thinking throughout my college experience, but Babbie highlights a point in his writing that makes it evident field work is sometimes the only way you can come to a real answer. He comments "Clearly we could not have discovered the nature and strength of agreements... except through field research... Only going out into life, doing it, and watching what happened gave us an accurate picture."
Human beings can feel empathy for another but it is not until they experience it themselves that they will truly understand. I do not plan to go into the field to prevent poverty, to liberate a people, or to make some huge change for I know that I am just one girl. But i do know that I can learn enough, and touch enough peoples lives, that I will be able to grow stronger and eventually make a change. I will never get an "accurate" picture of these people until I live as they live, speak as they speak, dance and sing as they do, learn how they do, eat how they do, and become as they are. This is one of the reasons why I am choosing to do this. While it is a requirement, I could have chosen a different major and a different path. Instead I chose to venture down this one. With all its bumps, with all its fears (and tears), I have experienced unmeasurable joy. Each day brings something new to experience, something new to look forward to, to be afraid of, to overcome.
In a few of my strategy sessions with Andrew we talked about hardships and challenges I would be facing and I felt so strange because I couldn't help but smile. I cannot wait to go through all those hardships because I know that when I come through this experience I will be a new person. I love the African people so much and I have never even met them. My project proposal has been approved and while I will be tweaking it this semester in the prep course I have a strong foundation and I will only become more prepared with each passing day. The research that I am doing in Ghana is going to be a major part of my experience there but what I look forward to most is the relationships I will form and the people I will meet. I pray that I can learn Twi to the best of my ability so that I can be blessed to understand those who do not speak English well enough to communicate. I have spent the last 2 days reading about Ghanaian Government, sports, entertainment, even beauty pageants so that I will understand as much about that country as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment