Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week 6: In the jungle the mighty jungle...


June 5, 2012
     I observed in the hospital this morning for 2 hours with one of the Doctors whom I have not seen much since the first week and it was very interesting to see the contrast between the two personalities and styles and how it affected their interactions with the patients. I like being with this Doctor because he speaks directly to me more and speaks in English when he is discussing medical stuff with the nurses so that I can understand what is going on. The other Doctor would tell me if I asked but I always feel like I would be taking up too much of his time and interrupting if he had to explain it to me all the time because he does everything so promptly. It is hard not to feel like I am intruding sometimes so I just try to use context clues a lot of the time when the case is not specifically malaria related. With the malaria patients I ask many more questions and ask for clarifications since they are who I am most concerned about in my research but even just seeing the Doctors with every patient is very interesting. It was super cool today because it rained way hard, which stunk because our laundry was done this morning so it still isn’t dry as I am getting ready for bed, buuuut it was awesome because I actually felt cold today when the storm was raging. Walking to the café today tons of people were talking to us and being super friendly which is usual but one guy yelled from across the street, “Obruni, you are in Ghana! Hoorah for you!” it was so funny because he voiced exactly how we feel a lot of the time! The light went out when we were at the café emailing home today so we decided to go get our favorite fried rice meal to take back to Joyce’s bar, the Gentle Spot, to eat and wait to see if the light would come back so we could finish up at the café…while we were waiting there was a straight hurricane blowing outside and it was SO LOUD on the tin roof so we were basically yelling at each other to have conversation but then we just started to sing songs that had the word rain in them which turned into us all belting out “Let the Rain Fall Down” by none other than Hilary Duff which led us to playing MASH since we were already in high school mode from memories of good old Hil Duff and it sure was funny. Of course things never ever play out how you wish they would on paper but it was super funny because we had added in places and people from Ghana which was just great. Everyone should play MASH if they are wondering who they are going to marry and such because I just know that mine was completely accurate. No doubt (not talking about Gwen Stefani’s old group). When the rain slowed down to a drizzle we went back to the café and it was running on generator power so we quickly sent a few last emails and then Jackie and I went to market to get our food for the week. We found our way to our usual ladies and I love being able to know where to go and what to get by myself. It really contributes to thinking that you actually belong someplace. Before getting in the car we got a vanilla ice cream so we could make a creamy banana smoothie when we got home, forgetting that the light was out. It was also basically melted by the time we returned but we just cut up bananas and mangos and stirred them into a puddle of vanilla in a bowl and it was actually really good. It is my favorite to figure out ways to use the random ingredients we have here. I think I ate 4 bananas today because we don’t want them to go bad so we are just eating as many as we can and working up all kinds of concoctions. I love it. Erica would be crying just thinking about all these bananas. She hates anything with a peel, she would hate all the fruit here haha, miss my Russian gal! E, I know you are in the MTC but I hope you are happy and doing well!! Today in my scripture reading I reached Ammon smiting off the Lamanite arms when they tried to scatter King Lamoni’s flocks and the whole time reading I was just visioning the Living Scripture cartoons and it made me so happy. I am so glad we were only allowed to watch church movies on Sunday growing up because otherwise I would not have cherished those movies the way I do. Reading about the sons of Mosiah and missionary work hits me especially hard seeing as so many people I care about are out serving the Lord right now and I am so grateful that I get to be here because though I am not a missionary, the church comes up sometimes and I enjoy being able to point to the church building and to hopefully be an example to those of other faiths while I am here. One language we all speak here is our belief in God. Most people are very religious and stores and taxis all say little sayings about God and his Grace. I started transcribing my interview today and I feel so weird listening to my own voice, I sound sick to me. Its weird how our voice sounds different to ourselves when we talk as opposed to playing it back. I don’t really get it. but it takes FOREVER, I am going to do another interview tomorrow though so I gotta get this one done as fast as I can. I copied and pasted Maddies emails at the café today and just died reading them later tonight because I miss her so much. I have been so blessed to be happy without all my best friends, in making and developing new relationships but I miss my Maddie, Carley, and Erica a lot. I think about them all the time and how awesome it would be if we were all together but I know that we are all doing what the Lord wants and needs us to do right now and for that I am grateful.

June 6, 2012
    Walking to work this morning there was a pack of guys in blue jumpsuits carrying what looked like containers of liquid attached to power washer spouts. They had a slogan on their backs along with some guys in neon orange jumpsuits with the National Mosquito Control Program something or other on their suits…it immediately made me think of summer sales and pest control. In that moment I imagined Trenter and his pals taking on the streets in Arizona wearing their jumpsuits and their slogan on their backs. I know that is not what its like but in that moment it was super funny! Shout out to you my Trenter, keep killin those pests in gool ol AZ! I officially have two boyfriends at the hospital now so couple that with all the marriage proposals and I am one hot topic here, so are the other three girls. It never gets old. The first, Prince, is currently applying to BYU and wants to follow me there and the second, Collins who I interviewed the other day called our phone 5 times yesterday ‘just to say hi’. It makes me laugh so hard especially when Prince winks at me but he grabbed my arm today when he was saying hi so I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious. I was totally worried about the lack of fellas this summer but let me tell you, I grossly underestimated the way it would be. This is much more overwhelming than Provo. My favorites are still the rat pack though. They are there when we leave in the morning and there when we get home at night saying the same things in English that they say everyday and I just love them to death. In the MCH this morning, Sister Felicia brought in this odd looking fruit that looked like a cartoon. It was green and shaped like a huge peanut but it had spikes all over it. She said it was called an apple, a local apple. We tried it and it had the sort of texture of a mango yet it tasted like an apple/pineapple mix. Very strange. I didn’t really like it because of the aftertaste but it was super cool looking. I love love love long hair but man it is so out of control here and it gets bigger and frizzier everyday I swear. Today we had the opportunity to go to a hair salon with Sister Felicia who works in the MCH so we took it. Little did we know it would consume our whole day… we arrived there at 10 am and another girl, a nurse from the hospital, was getting her hair plaited (where they braid fake hair into real hair to make it longer because all Ghanaians have really short natural hair). We waited for awhile and then Jackie started getting hers plaited. I already have so much hair that I just wanted to get my natural hair braided. I stood up to go see how Jackies was coming along and then walked back over to see what the girls were doing to the nurses hair and they handed me a strand so I started braiding.

My neck hurt so bad after awhile of just looking down and braiding braiding braiding and I cant imagine how they do that all day. I was tired of it after about 20 little braids. We talked and laughed as they taught me Twi and they would tell everyone to ask me what I was doing as they would come in and talk to them because I had learned how to say, “I am doing it” in Twi, talking about braiding the hair, and it was giving everyone a good laugh. We arrived at 10 and around noon I was starving so Natalie and I went to go get food. We got our same fried rice but she put a ton of this spicy sauce called Shito on it so I was sweating and my nose was running as I ate it, I really hate spicy foods but I loved the rice. Jackie and the nurse were not near being done so I went to the internet café with Natalie to say hi to King and to help her with her IRB and then when we came back they were ready for me. It took be about 7 minutes to convince them that I didn’t want fake hair because you cant wash it and they snip off all the flyaways and then burn it so it stays looking nice and shiny for up to a month yet, I didn’t want my real hair to suffer any of that fate so I finally convinced them just to braid my hair as I endured 3 hours of tugging and pulling and braiding that felt like every single hair on my head was being ripped right out.

It hurt so bad. I kept saying ‘beauty is pain’ but who made up that slogan anyways, no its not. Collins lives in Agona so he of course came to visit while I was getting my hair braided and turns out his sister was one of the ladies braiding my hair. Small world, everywhere. My hair looks weird and my head hurts from all the tiny hairs pulling. I am glad because it will let me not worry about it for a week or two and the frizz and mess won’t be out of control but man it hurts to get done. I wanted dreads so bad sitting there though because every time I see people with them they look so cool but I promised my mother I wouldn’t so I am going to be a good girl. Jackie looks sweet though and if I wasn’t so worried about my hair I totally would have plaited it though it took 6 hours for Jackies and I have a lot more hair so I think it would have taken like 9 hours for mine. Not worth it. That basically took up our whole day and when we got home it was dinner time. I really did nothing research worthy today though I did talk with the women a bit about gender roles but I was not anticipating the hair thing to take so long! I will never complain when I curl my hair and it takes 20 minutes, never again. I ate plain rice and avocado for dinner tonight because I have noticed that I wake up sick every morning after eating one of our stews on the third day. They aren’t kept in the refrigerator, nor do they even have lids on them so after a few days I am positive they are spoiled but Mama feeds them to us as long as they seem okay and we have it because their stomachs handle things differently but I am sure I am getting food poisoning every other day. I was going to do a real experiment but I am pretty sure I’m right and I’d rather not sacrifice my stomach and continue feeling that way so I am just going to stop eating third day stews. I actually really liked the plain rice, Mama cooks it with salt and onion so its got a little flavor. I just know I am either going to come home loving rice or hating it because it is all I eat.

June 7, 2012

     Today was adventure day. We got out of bed earlier than usual this morning so that we could leave at 7 and get to Agona to meet the ‘bus’ that was supposed to take us to the Monkey Sanctuary. We should have taken African time into account but sometimes we are just too faithful to our standard of time. Because King was coming with us, he wasn’t ready until about 8:15 so we got to Agona around 8:35 or so. We thought ourselves lucky because the bus hadn’t come yet and we went to wait at the Gentle Spot with Natalie and Cassie for it to come. We kept asking King when it would be here and he just said ‘soon’ which I have come to realize means any amount of time up to 3 hours away. After about an hour and a half King said we should go out and wait by the road because it is getting closer. We waited and waited and waited and finally started to go a little crazy but we made the best of it by singing ‘Down By the Bay’ and rhyming words and then we laughed about Youtube videos we could remember and then there was a taxi playing loud music so I got up and danced. I was just trying to keep myself busy since I had been sitting down for so long but before I knew it I had an audience of about 100 people along the street and at their various booths. I was obviously having the best time and I kept trying to get the people and the kids especially to join me but had no such luck so there I stood by myself in the dirt dancing all around. I got a few good laughs from the people and at least I was busy. It smells like my Mom’s ground beef, the one she makes for tacos, right now and I am dying for a taco right now! Anyway, it turned out to be a fine time waiting because I have come to realize that I am very good at entertaining myself when I need to. The “bus” which actually turned out to be a tro tro arrived at 11:38 and we hopped on and were on our way. Somehow I always get stuck in the back row where the tire is and I have no leg room and sometimes the ceiling is so low that my head touches it. Tro tros are less than ideal for comfort but they do the job. Luckily that seat is a window seat because I at least get to just stare at the jungle for hours which I never ever get tired of so that helps me to enjoy those rides. Driving through one village I swear it smelled like Wendy’s BBQ sauce the WHOLE time so for about 20 minutes my mouth was watering as I craved chicken nuggets and I don’t even eat fast food but I will admit that BBQ sauce is good. Green already was my favorite color but every time we drive through the jungles, which is every time we drive anywhere, I just cant even handle how beautiful the color is. It will forever be my favorite especially now. After about 2 hours we arrived at a station where we switched over to a taxi which would take us the rest of the way to the monkeys. Natalie and I shared the front seat in a car which is probably the size of a mini cooper while the rest were in the back. A lot of the taxis are super loud because the whole car rattles so you can hardly think while you ride in them but I was just trying to enjoy the scenery and there was a moment when the road and the trees opened up and you could see this vast valley of green trees and open land and it looked incredible SO naturally, I started singing the opening lines to the Circle of Life and proceeded to sing almost the whole song. I noticed the taxi driver speed up while I was singing and I am sure he wanted to get me out of there quick but I was having the best time. 
When we arrived at the place it was much less than I was imagining it would be but then again, nothing here is as I ever imagine it will be so I was not surprised. After a lot of convincing and the taxi driver, and the people at the office trying to manipulate us out of our money we headed into the jungle. 
Not too far in we got out some bananas and bread that we had from Agona and held it out. Monkeys can smell it or else they were just waiting because they all came out of nowhere and before we knew it they were all over. It was incredible to see these guys coming up to us and just letting us play with them.
They were greedy monkeys and would only come to you if you had food but it was still so fun to see them outside of a cage and the zoo. When we were basically out of food we went deeper and found these amazing trees that were the coolest things ever and I even found one that looks like a giraffe. We then went further in to find the real monkeys, the ones who don’t like humans and who just like to live the dream up in the trees and man they were beautiful. They made a less than beautiful sound but just seeing them leap from tree to tree and climb around way high up in the canopy was amazing. 
I wanted to be tarzan and jane so I could swing around on the vines and just be up there with them. Cassie and I were walking around and exploring to see some of the big monkeys up closer and we thought we were being really sneaky and quiet but that was silly because they could obviously see us and all of a sudden it sounded like it was raining and Cassie was just inches away from being peed on.

There was one monkey right above us who had a real nice sense of humor and just let the rain fall down. We had a good laugh as he moved back to join his friends. We kept on exploring and just went wherever the wind led us through the jungle and found this spot that was entirely covered and the trees made a sort of ceiling and it was so beautiful and peaceful. I had the idea to separate and just go off and ponder for a moment so we all found a spot and nestled in. I don’t know how long it was but I sat down and prayed to my Heavenly Father and read my Patriarchal Blessing. The Spirit testified to me as I sat there listening to the monkeys calling and the birds chirping, that I am on the path that my Lord has lain out for me in order to accomplish all that I was sent here to do in this earthly existence. It was such a distinct and a profound feeling and I could not contain my tears of joy as I took in the scene and realized where I was and just what I was doing. I don’t know what is ahead for me but I do know that with the Lord by my side that I can accomplish anything he needs me to as long as I remain faithful. 

Driving back Cassie and I talked for the entire time about a whole multitude of things and when we arrived back in Agona I realized how peaceful our talk had been and I had kind of forgotten where I was. It was interesting to talk with her because we come from such different backgrounds and experiences yet we have been able to learn so much from one another, all of us girls have. We never would have been such great friends if we were not in this situation together and I cannot imagine having missed out on the things I learn here from them. It is beautiful the relationships I am learning to build here, not just with them, but with people in Africa. I never thought I was good at this but I am definitely learning how to let people in and to share myself with them. Having read about the pride cycle recently it was interesting to talk with Cassie about how different the lives of the people are here compared to in America. We talked about how many of the people are so humble and God fearing because of their circumstance where as in the US, we have so much, yet so many people refuse to attribute those things to God. We are still going through the pride cycle and are experiencing it all around us every single day. It is so easy to get trapped in it as we can see from reading the scriptures but humility can bring us out. Recognizing the Lord’s hand in all things is a truly beautiful blessing.

  [legend of the monkeys is that there were warring tribes in the old days and the King had found a magical herb that turned people into monkeys so he used it to imprison some and to save others. Before he knew it, there were many monkeys and when another tribe came and saw only the King and no other humans they killed him so the secret of the monkeys was forever lost and the people could not be turned back. There is a monkey cemetery within the jungle and the monkeys are buried like humans which is because the people think that the monkeys are people tooo]

June 8, 2012
    Today was super productive research wise and I was able to accomplish a lot of what I was hoping for which made me super happy. I conducted another interview and realized how difficult it is to interview someone who does not speak English super well and who is fairly uneducated because let me tell you, it is HARD. I was so frustrated during and after it that I am probably just going to have to throw it out because he just was not answering any question I asked him and was so confused about what I wanted to know because every question came with a completely irrelevant answer and I was trying to re-word and reemphasize things the whole time and it was just super difficult. I really miss being able to just talk to people. Talking with Cassie last night was beautiful because we can just talk about everything and anything and my brain is stimulated by conversation which makes me happy. Trent was telling me in his last email how he did not understand what was going on for basically the whole first year of his mission because Chinese is so hard and I cannot even imagine how hard that would be because for me, I am almost halfway through this experience so I see an end nearby where I know that I will be able to hone in and understand everything around me again but then I think that maybe I like it sometimes. Maybe I like not knowing what people are saying when they are raising their voices at one another and maybe I like daydreaming all the time when there are full conversations being rattled off around me where I don’t have a clue what is being said and maybe I like being able to ponder and teach myself in church every Sunday but then I realize nope. I like English, in fact, I love it. Understanding is a gift. Understanding the way society works, the way the world works, the way we function as societies within the world…understanding the Gospel and my role within this existence, understanding the social context within situations at home and how to act within those…understanding is something beautiful that we have been blessed with and not having that leaves a large void. Also being scared to talk to people for lack of understanding is very difficult. I am surprised at the amount of time that has already passed though where I have been able to handle it fairly well. Understanding is something that I miss though I will admit that my lack of understanding with the language has led to an increased understanding in other places so I guess my lesson to be learned right now is that there is always something to be learned, and always something to be understood. I just need to figure out what it is. I spent a long time catching up on notes today and once again I cannot feel my rear. Its numb from sitting uncomfortably for so long. I cant wait to lay on a couch again and to sit in a squishy, comfy chair. That will be the day I tell ya. Jackie and I made our pad thai again with a few adjustments and it was gooooood. Not much else happened today because I was just doing a lot of my research but it was a very happy day.

June 9, 2012
    Before bed last night I listened to Elder Holland’s ‘Safety For the Soul” talk in which he testifies with great power about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. It means more to me now than it did when he gave it a few years ago in Conference because of the way I am reading the Book of Mormon right now and the Spirit testified to me of the truthfulness of his words. I have gained an unfailing testimony of the Book of Mormon since being here, even stronger than ever before and I know that is one of the many reasons I was sent on this adventure. That talk and the thoughts I had thereafter led to a part of my dream last night which I remember vividly. I don’t know who all was there nor do I know who the man in the dream was but he was challenging me in saying that Mormons are not Christian and was saying that we do not believe in Jesus Christ. I was very happy to silence him as I opened up my Book of Mormon and flipped to various places within where I have marked as a testimony of Christ. I proceeded to teach him about the prophecies which were fulfilled prior to Christ’s birth and of His ministry and death and resurrection followed by his appearance to the Nephites. Even in my dream and as I recollect it right now, the power I felt in the words I was saying was so real. Though it was in a dream, I have never felt such strength and conviction in spoken word. I know that the Book of Mormon truly testifies of Christ and I hope that I will be given opportunities to share that knowledge with those who have not yet received it because a testimony of the Book of Mormon is such a beautiful strength and I wish that every one could feel what I feel. I don’t remember the outcome of the dream, I probably apparated to Harry Potter world after interacting with him but the first thing I thought about when I woke up was how unbelievable it felt to have the knowledge of the Book of Mormon sufficient enough to teach someone about the testimony of Christ which can be gained through the words on these pages, even if only in a dream. I do not even know how to express my gratitude for the understanding and testimony I have gained since being here. I am about halfway as I only have 6 more weeks and seeing the growth I have already made on more levels than just spiritually, I cannot help but thank my Heavenly Father for placing me here at this time in my life. He knows me and He hears my prayers, of that I am sure. We all went to the wedding of a nurse at the hospital today in Agona and boy was it a party. It was at the Presbyterian Church and was a white dress kind of wedding. I just know if I didn’t have the knowledge that I do have, I would have joined that congregation today because the whole wedding ceremony was just full of singing and dancing and hoots and hollers and hallelujahs and amens and it was so fun to fell the energy of the people in their worship (dont get me wrong, i love the peace of our worship, it is the best). Any excuse to dance here is taken for what its worth and old women who can hardly walk get up and boogie with such enthusiasm that you cannot figure out how they are even moving that way. It is beautiful. The main singer, the praise leader, was really tall and was wearing this sweet blue suit and indie glasses and had an amazing voice and he was just having the worlds best time singing all the days and I had the biggest crush on him. He was obviously super talented but I am definitely a sucker for the tall ones. Even here. The whole ceremony was super long though because there was a ton of worship between the vows and exchange of the rings and all that jazz. ANNND they didn’t even get to smooch. They just hugged because PDA is a no no no here. We kept waiting for it but it never came. Let me just say that I am grateful that I live in America cause you better believe I am smooching my husband when we get married. After the wedding we took some pictures with the bride and groom and the other health workers and she said she was happy to have white ladies at her wedding, its so funny. I think I also got married today…this man was the videographer and I swear I am going to be on that video more than the bride. Not really but he loved me and basically told me that we were already married so we are really happy together. Afterward we got in the taxi to go home but Sister Felicia said that we had been invited somewhere so we went to this bar in Agona with all the health directors from the surrounding Districts and just sat and chatted and drank pineapple juice while many of them downed their beers. After sitting for awhile I got restless so I stood under the fan and started to dance a little bit to the music which turned into a mini dance party. Dancing is definitely socially acceptable anywhere and everywhere here. I love it. Issac one of the men there was drinking what looked like milk so I asked him what it was and he got me one, it was almost straight cream and was vanilla flavored and it tasted so good. I wanted cereal so bad after! I cant wait til I can eat any food I want without feeling sick all the time, that’s the pits here, always feeling a little bit sick and never quite satisfied but all in all its great!

June 10, 2012
I love love love Sundays. Cassie and I were asked to give talks today so last night I spent a fair amount of time pondering and praying and asking Heavenly Father that He would guide me in what the people needed to hear. I was given the topic of Obedience and had downloaded a few talks on Tuesday at the internet café so I could have some material to work with and it was so fun to prepare it. It was interesting preparing a talk for a completely different audience than I have ever addressed before and I was so nervous because I wanted to be able to say just what the Lord wanted the people to hear without sobbing through it but I think I did a good job. I prepared a 5 minute talk because the Branch President said it should be 10 minutes and I figured with the translator it would equal about that but nope, turns out translation takes a bit of time because I did not even get to say all that I had prepared before it had been 15 minutes and I needed to wrap up. It was way fun to speak though I am very grateful for the opportunity. I invited Mama and King today since Cassie and I were speaking and Mama did not come but she let King come. I have made it a goal to really focus on the Sacrament this summer and during the hymn which was “Behold the Great Redeemer Die” I just started to cry because I recognized the beauty of the words in that song, I cant say that it was because of the beauty I heard because it is always a less than beautiful sound which makes us laugh because despite what people may think about African voices, they are not all beautiful. Sometimes we just have to laugh at the way the hymns sound but it is also because there is no one accompanying the hymns and I am sure it would sound equally as comical if no one really knew the tune entirely in America and there was no accompaniment. But anyway, during the song I was really focusing on the words and the spirit testified so strongly to me of the reality and truthfulness of the Atonement and the Plan of Salvation. Even Christ fulfilled his perfect mission and submitted His will to the Father’s understanding what He had to do. The line that says “I’ve done the work thou gavest me…receive my spirit unto thee” hit me so hard and I realized even more than I have felt before that I want to be able to say near my dying days that I have done the work that the Father has given me so that I can be received into His presence having completed all that has been lain before me. I think that is the most beautiful realization, knowing that we can fulfill the will of the Father if we are faithful and that will lead us back into His presence. I glanced over at King after the hymn as he asked if he could take the sacrament and wanted to explain it to him but I was too worked up at the moment for even a whisper but my heart broke for him and so many other like him. He wants to join the church but has to wait until he moves out of the house. It broke my heart because I knew how hard it was for him to be there when he does not have the opportunity to be baptized right now. He commented how it is hard when he cannot enjoy church the way he wants to right now and I just started to cry again thinking about how many people do not even have access to the blessings of the Gospel right now. I know the beauty of this Gospel and it is hard to not just shout it from the rooftops and invite everyone to come unto Christ. I know that there are so many people who are not even fortunate enough to have the knowledge that King has but I am so grateful that there are missionaries all over the earth who are sharing the light with those people who are ready and willing to receive it. I never knew I could come to love this Gospel so immensely with my whole heart the way I do now. After church we just talked and hung out with the girls for a few hours and Cassie and I looked at every picture we have on our computers from the last few years as we laughed at how silly we were even just a few years ago.When we walked her and Natalie to the taxis there was a huge dance party going on in the middle of Konya market so on our way home we walked through to see what was going on. There were about 200 children just breaking it down and doing Azonto in a huge cloud of dust. Jackie and I started to Azonto small just as we were walking through but we got attacked by every child there and they were all going nuts over us. After I was thoroughly covered in dust and sweat we broke away but had about 50 kids following us home holding our hands and singing Azonto songs. I started to sing a Twi song Jackie and I wish I could have just videotaped us as we walked in that moment, children hanging all over us, singing songs as we walked through the town. I love these people, I really do. We got home and King was doing his Azonto workout too so we watched him dance. We are going to start doing it with him every night because he gets a real good workout and boy can he dance! I laid under the stars as I waited for my Ma to call and Booze Man came home. He was being so funny tonight and Jackie and I were trying to convince him to stop drinking because he wanted to marry us tonight and we said that he had to sober up by the time we left and told him to start drinking water and Fanta instead of alcohol. He left and came back a few minutes later with some water which was hilarious because in our broken Twi we cannot communicate fully but man he was cracking us up tonight. I find so much joy in such simple things here, well I always have but I just feel so much joy all the time and I am so grateful for it. I got to talk to my Mama then and boy do I love her. I am so grateful for families. It is one of the most beautiful things about this Gospel. I am just obsessed with my family at home and I cannot imagine how different my life would be without them. Even my family here, I love them all so much.

June 11, 2012
    I spent 2/3 of my day at my computer today transcribing interviews. It takes SO LONG I think that the palms of my hands are bruised from hours and hours of typing. That is one thing about field work. You have to sit at your computer typing more than you have ever typed in your whole life! Its going to be a real nice break when I am home in August I swear I am not going to touch this computer because that is one of the hardest parts about being here. But luckily the end is in sight so I don’t have to worry about doing this for the rest of my life. I don’t know how real anthropologists do this for years at a time typing up their field notes and transcribing for hours and hours every day, its exhausting. In the time I was not transcribing I conducted two interviews and they went really well, I love when interviews produce really great information, it makes me feel so much more confident about my research and reassures me that I can do this and that I don’t need to freak out and instead I just need to do it. Cassie and I are both so scared all the time that we are not going to get the right amounts of information and that we wont be able to write an adequate senior thesis and it is a bit stressful but our mentor is the worlds best Professor and she helps us a lot so I think that as long as I continue to work hard every day to get all the information as I can, talking to as many people as I can, that this will turn out as it needs to in the end. The Euro cup is going on right now and Ghanaians are obsessed with futbol, as is Jackie so I know all about European futbol now and though I do not have a team the games are so fun to watch, they are always on tv so we watch them every time we can and man soccer is the worlds best. I love watching it and playing it and the players are more often than not, super attractive. Win win win. On my way home from my second interview I saw a bunch of pineapples so I bought one for 1 cedi, much cheaper than the 7 dollar pineapples in America though they are growing right in our backyard so it makes sense but Jackie and I ate the whole thing and my tongue hurt so bad from all the acid for hours afterward and I could hardly taste my dinner, which is sometimes not an entirely bad thing. I then transcribed until I couldn’t type any longer and I went and worked out. Booze man was sober tonight because he hadn’t eaten and he doesn’t drink when he doesn’t eat so he was just sitting out with Mama in the courtyard chatting and I kept trying to get him to workout with me but he wouldn’t. It is so funny to try to converse with that man, really a joyous occasion I say. Jackie and I settled in and watched 2 episodes of Friends as is our nightly ritual and I even dreamt in Friends land in the night. I am in love with Chandler. His wise cracks kill me, actually everything kills me the show is so funny. It’s a good time for us to just wind down from the day and take ourselves out of Africa for a moment to keep us sane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment