Thursday, February 23, 2012

Journal #18: Seeking Health care

Today I started to think about what it means to 'seek'. 
According to Websters dictionary it means:

1: to resort to : go to
2 : to go in search of : look for : to try to discover
3: to ask for : request
4: to try to acquire or gain : aim at
5: to make an attempt
Hide and Seek....
 *photos from pinterest
These all mean something different to different people, at different times. Everyone here on this earth is seeking a certain type of existence and thus, they expect certain things out of each individual experience. Each new day brings with it new expectations, new rules to follow, new outcomes to be had, new truths to be found and all these things come with discovery. One must first seek to discover though. What is it that I am seeking to find? I have the best source of truth and knowledge that I know in my life. I have happiness, I have joy and love and peace. I am currently seeking learning every day as I attend school. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and I seek learning through Him with every passing moment. If ever there is something 'missing' in my life, I know where to look because of my faith. 
But what about those things that do not require faith alone? What is it that is leading and guiding peoples lives, peoples every day decisions? A lot of the sources I have been looking at recently have researched the reasons for a patients health care seeking behaviors. There have been endless attempts to understand why people choose healing through certain mediums. Why they go to the clinic vs the hospital, the hospital vs the traditional healer...what exactly is it that they are seeking from these institutions? There are many more decisions than this though, it is not just about the place. It blows my mind sometimes to think about how I am trying to understand other human beings when I feel like my own  world and my own existence is so huge sometimes. How are there billions of other humans experiencing the same things that I am, feeling the same feelings, thinking the same thoughts etc, though at the same time we are not the same at all. They see me from within themselves at the same time as I see them. While the people at the hospitals with whom I interact are seeking a certain type of treatment (medically and person-ably), I am seeking to understand the interactions that they and the doctors produce while they are seeking this treatment of malaria. Thinking about it in such a round about way seems to make absolutely no sense at all. How can I even find the answers to what I am seeking for when everyone is seeking something different from seemingly the same source? Thinking about my project within this scope of ideas makes it seem so incredibly broad that it seems that no one will ever really be able to understand another human being completely. Yet, we do. Humans are fascinating and as I seek to understand more about the world around me and the people who inhabit it, I hope that I others will be able to find answers to those things they are seeking as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment