The reason why I feel like it will be so important to me is not only because I want to immerse myself as fully as I can into their culture (communication being an essential part of understanding...not just with language), but also because within my project methods I will be sitting in on healer-patient interactions and I do not know if those who are being healed and those who are healing will be speaking Twi or English, maybe even Twiglish but the point is, I do not want to be stuck with something I cannot analyze, nonetheless understand from an interaction with a traditional healer and an older Ghanaian man who are speaking Twi. As i am writing this, I am taking a break from studying my alphabet and simple things like 'we', 'you', 'I', 'us', 'they', etc... every time I think I get it, I try to translate a sentence from Twi to English or vice versa and the singular/plural stuff messes me up. Anyone speaking French, Spanish, Italian, or whatever else should be eternally grateful to Google Translate for the services they provide. I sure would love that help right about now. Regardless of the struggles and frustrations I get so excited every time I open my "Lets Learn Twi" book because everything about this experiences makes my heart soar!
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Journal #3: Learning Twi
The reason why I feel like it will be so important to me is not only because I want to immerse myself as fully as I can into their culture (communication being an essential part of understanding...not just with language), but also because within my project methods I will be sitting in on healer-patient interactions and I do not know if those who are being healed and those who are healing will be speaking Twi or English, maybe even Twiglish but the point is, I do not want to be stuck with something I cannot analyze, nonetheless understand from an interaction with a traditional healer and an older Ghanaian man who are speaking Twi. As i am writing this, I am taking a break from studying my alphabet and simple things like 'we', 'you', 'I', 'us', 'they', etc... every time I think I get it, I try to translate a sentence from Twi to English or vice versa and the singular/plural stuff messes me up. Anyone speaking French, Spanish, Italian, or whatever else should be eternally grateful to Google Translate for the services they provide. I sure would love that help right about now. Regardless of the struggles and frustrations I get so excited every time I open my "Lets Learn Twi" book because everything about this experiences makes my heart soar!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment