For class on Wednesday we talked a little bit about the history of Ghana and its politics and such. One of the most significant markers of unity and strength for Ghana is the Golden Stool. The history of the stool is as follows: The Ashanti Kingdom in Ghana West Africa, was founded in the seventeenth
century by King Osei Tutu I, with the help of his feared Priest Okomfo
Anokye. The myth is told that Okomfo Anokye conjured the famous Golden
Stool from the sky and landed it on the lap of King Osei Tutu, the first
King of the Ashantis. The Fetish Priest declared that the soul of the
nation resided in the stool and the people must preserve and respect it.
Ashantis believe that just as a man could not live when his soul is
taken, so the Asante people would disappear from history if ever the
Golden stool were taken away from them. Covered with pure gold, the
Golden Stool is never allowed to touch the ground. When a new Ashanti
King is installed, he is merely lowered and passed over the stools three
times without touching it. Whenever the golden stool is taken out on
special occasions, the Asantehene follows it. Throughout history, wars have broken out over this object. It symbolizes the power and soul of Ghana. It is a huge part of their identity. Many things depict this object and symbol. Stores are named after it and pictures and symbols are apparently all over this country because of what it represents. From learning about this simple piece of history, I have decided to really try to learn about and recognize the simple things that influence a persons culture and by extension, their identity. There are going to be things that come up in conversation between doctors , traditional healers, and patients that have stemmed from their sense of person-hood that has been attained from their connections to Ghana as a place, and as a part of who they are. It will be critical for me to be able to identify and understand these things if I am to analyze these interactions to the very best of my abilities as an anthropologist and I am excited to keep learning more about it everyday.
Uh, don't worry, I am not some random blog stalker (okay, I kind of am a blog stalker, but not this time) I am doing a field study too. I don't have time to really read your blog tonight, but let me just say I am super excited/relieved that someone actually kind of blogs on their fs blog somewhat a lot because I was starting to feel like a weirdo for having more than like five posts. But what I have read, I am super excited to follow your project, if you don't mind.
ReplyDelete