Monday, January 30, 2012
Journal #7: Developing Questions
With each new day comes a new question asked, a new concept learned, a new fear to conquer. As I search for articles and sources each day to validate my ideas and thoughts, I come to conclude different things though each time it just takes my excitement and curiosity to another level. Today's topic of interest came about when I was thinking about my question and how I developed it and I started to ponder on the process that got me to where I am now with my research question. After declaring my major at the end of Freshman year I felt exhilarated and ready to start my life at that moment. I was not sure where anthropology was going to take me nor did I understand what field work was, nor did I even think that I would be going to Africa in a few short years. The first time I really gained an interest in my topic was when I was talking to one of my professors, Sheila Bibb about her research. I started to research Medical Anthropology and what it encompassed. I have never been one to want to be a nurse or doctor but I have always had this desire to understand the human body and what causes certain ailments (physically or emotionally) but at the same time I am fascinated with the socialization of human beings within society and why we do the things we do. My particular interest was sparked in Africa one day and I have never looked back. I began by just googling "healing in Africa" and "traditional medicine" and "witch doctors in Ghana" and such. With those hours of searching the web my ideas and thoughts evolved and I started to read books and articles about gender and medicine and the effects they have when combined. Somehow all these ideas converged with an interest in malaria, probably because of the relevancy of it in Ghana but out of many many steps along the way emerged an idea. That idea had guided my thoughts and actions for the last year or so and everyday I am trying to learn more. I wish that I could focus on this and only this (because I sure would like to skip out on statistics) but at the same time I am grateful for the limited time I do get to spend preparing these days because I cherish the learning and hold onto the insight I gain. In our last class we did an activity which workshopped our project questions and tried to refine and better them. I started really thinking about the scope of my project and what exactly it is that I want to know. There are plenty of things that I want to find out and be introduced to, but what things do I want to really come to KNOW within the data I analyze and the experiences I have? I can't answer that question quite yet but I have identified a difference in my mind and I plan to explore it to make my question as effective and telling as I can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment