Monday, January 23, 2012

Journal #5: "Time is going to take my mind...and carry it far away where I can fly"

What is the essence of time? All that I have done so far has brought me to this place, right now. I have lived in a world revolving around time for my whole life but it wasn't until today that I actually thought about the significance of it. Today we were assigned to read an article for class about time. It discussed how different time can be to other cultures. In the past paced world we live in here in the United States it feels like we are bound by time. There is always a schedule, always an appointment, always a commitment to uphold... but it is not like that everywhere around the world. In a discussion we had in class we talked about how sense of time is different in Ghana and that is certainly some thing to get used to. If I set an appointment to meet with someone for an interview in 2 hours they might not come for 4. Simply because their daughter came home and wanted to discuss something with them and family is far more important than keeping an appointment with you. I realize that time is relative to the beholder and the culture one is encompassed in. That is one more adjustment I get to look forward to. I am not sure how time works in the hospitals and clinics though? Something to explore. Do doctors appointments and visits go according to a scheduled visit time? Are there scheduled visits or does one simply show up and wait for an available doctor? What is time going to be like in everyday activities? All things I cannot wait to learn about and adapt to as I embark on this journey and experience my RIGHT NOW.


No comments:

Post a Comment