As I think about my question lately I have been focusing on the word "treatment". At first it just meant the physical treatment that was administered to patients but upon discussing on Friday, the words came out of my mouth before I even realized it and I thought about the word on a different level. The treatments administered to patients are physical as well as emotional. The way doctors treat an individual according to their sex is the construct i am looking at and the whole time I have been developing this project for my senior thesis I have been thinking about the dire situation that so many people in this world experience. The lack of proper healthcare is more rampant than we know. Even in the United States. Politicians all claim to have the answers to this worldwide issue but when is the problem really going to be fixed? It seems like this extends to an even larger sphere in my mind because it is not only about people being able to get physical healthcare (i.e procedures, antibiotics, etc...) but it is about people being "treated" in both senses of the word as human beings, as equals among everyone. In my experience growing up, I have been taught to treat everyone with respect and love but I did not think about how differently I treat boys vs. girls, or even male professors vs. female professors. I don't know what the extent of my personal treatment toward different genders is but I know that it is there. I am going to make it a goal this week to pay attention to how I treat males vs. females in different situations to try to get a feel for this concept. Treatment in both ways, physical and emotional will affect this study so understanding my own concept of it is important.
This is a great idea for a little experiment! I would love to see a follow-up post on what you found about how you deal with gender!
ReplyDelete