Thursday, January 26, 2012

Journal #6: History of healthcare in Ghana


                                                    
 A nation which has forgotten the quality of COURAGEwhich in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon or regard that quality in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten. -JFK 
           I am not one to be huge on politics but I do believe that he speaks the truth... I feel like leaders today have lost sight of who founded this nation and what we stood for. Of course the founding fathers were not perfect and every human has their faults but it seems that we have lost a sense of courage in our politics. Our government is a huge part of who we are as a nation and has greatly affected the way our country functions and why we are the way we are. We talked more extensively about the history of Ghana today in class and how its government and politics have affected the country. Being a white American, growing up in the middle class suburbs, I have lived a life that seems to be 100% different from that of most Ghanaians. While I know that is not completely true, I do know that there are things I will need to understand and be aware of if I am to try to understand this culture and this people. The country they grew up in and call home is so different from mine. Upon discussing these things in class, I really started to ponder on how extensively each country is defined by their past and by the things which they have seen in their lives. Be it because of the government they have lived under (or lack of), or through the events that have greatly shaped the identity of their nation. Reflecting back, I realize how immense this impact has been on my own life and how much the history of my country has influenced who I am and what I believe in. My project will give me a particular understanding of healthcare and how it has been influenced by Ghanaian history. Thus, I did some research about the history of Ghana's healthcare systems since that will likely influence my project on a large scale:
      As is highlighted in the 2010 Half Yearly Report by Ghana Health Service, one of the main healthcare providers, a large concern within the healthcare system is gender. They want the assurance of equity in healthcare programs and Dr. Linda Vanatoo laid it out plainly when she said, "In all our activities in the region, gender issues were critically taken into consideration. During the year under review, staffs from the regional training unit of the regional health directorate undertook some training in gender mainstreaming. It is hoped that orientation would be given to key staff in the period ahead so that gender issues would be inculcated into health service planning and provision in the municipal." (pg.23) [i] Gender issues will no doubt be seen among doctor-patient interactions and thus i will be discovering the extent of it's influence among Ghanaian people further. I have chosen to do this through the lens of malaria. One reason being that malaria and HIV/AIDS both have a significant impact on the Ghanaian population thus, I have chosen to combine these two elements (gender and malaria) in the scope of my project. A large reason why I want to focus narrowly on those patients who have malaria is because of the large number of people who are infected or who have been infected with the disease...malaria is a huge threat to the population so researching within its scope can benefit medical discourse.
      Healthcare in Ghana is provided by the government and is mainly administered by the Ministry of Health and Ghana Health Services. Within those there are 5 levels: health posts (first level primary care for rural areas), health centers and clinics, district hospitals, and last, regional hospitals and tertiary hospitals. 35% of the hospitals are run by religious groups and healthcare is varied throughout the country. Rural areas are often left without modern healthcare so these patients rely mostly on traditional African medicine or must travel long distances to obtain care. Historically, village priests (fetish priests--name for witch doctors in Ghana) were the primary care givers. Herbal remedies and spiritual healing encompassed the extent of treatment. Western medicine was introduced to Cape Coast by Christian missionaries in the 19th century and it wasn't until after World War II that outside organizations like WHO (World Health Organization) and the United Nations Children's Fund jumped into provide additional care. Unlike the yesteryears, Ghana has established the National Health Insurance Scheme which was put into place when John Kufour, former President, wanted to get rid of the cash and carry system where money would have to be paid at each step of treatment. This system came into play in 1992 with the return of democratic rule to the country but wasn't passed into law until 2003. The Ghanaian healthcare system is constantly improving and has much potential and success as it continues to (hopefully) meet the specific needs of its citizens. 
     Because of the scope of the Ghanaian healthcare system and the history of the country that has influenced it, I anticipate that I will be seeing effects of their culture and background in the clinics and hospitals, even among the witch doctors that I come into contact with. Governmental policies and instruments will play a large role in the functionality of these places and the attitude that is found within the walls. I have not had much experience with the American medical system because I have lived a relatively healthy life but I have experienced urgent care and quick doctors visits and such so it will be interesting to reflect back on my own visits upon observing the experiences people have within the Ghanaian healthcare system. Since my project focuses on the doctor-patient relationship and how the patients gender affects the way doctors administer treatment to those who have malaria, it will be important that I understand the cultural context and historical background that is a basis for why things are the way they are within that which I observe. 


[i] Vanotoo, Dr Linda. "Half Year Review Report: Ghana Health Service." Your Health,OurConcern.Web.4Oct.2011..

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was interesting that Western medicine was introduced to the Cape Coast by missionaries—how do you think this may have shaped Ghanaian perceptions of Western medicine as opposed to if the colonial rulers had introduced techniques of Western medicine?

    ReplyDelete